Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Associations - Can't Set PNG

Using Win10.

I'm trying to set the file association for PNG files to IrfanView, but it doesn't work. It keeps reverting to the checkbox being unchecked and PNGs opening in whatever the Windows
    default is.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Optiker

It works for me if I do it in IrfanView, Settings, Extensions.

How are you doing it?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That is how I was doing it, and each time it would revert to Windows's "Photos" app. When I opened Iview to try again, it did the same, even for JPGs.

However...in Iview, in options/properties/extensions I noticed the note to the right of the list, "INFO: If Win 10 warnings...use the system: Control Panel" with a link to the correct location in the Win10 Control Panel for setting default apps. I tried that and that did the job.

Repeat, I was NOT able to set Iview as the default images app from within Iview.

Guess it's just another example of the 900 pound gorilla (Microsoft) forcing use of its own apps. If you noticed my other current post, it's why I am working towards making Linux my default OS.

Problem solved!

Thanks for your input.

Optiker

Comment

Take a look at this post.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks!

I'll give that try if it resets. So far, it hasn't reset.

Optiker

Comment

Working...
          X