No announcement yet.

Add mechanism and shortcut for image marking during browsing through images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Add mechanism and shortcut for image marking during browsing through images

I often browse through images in a folder using the arrow keys. In many cases I am looking for appropriate photos for a specific purpose. If I had these photos on a contact printing on paper I would mark the favorites with a pen, if I had single photo prints, I would sort them out accordingly.

This is something which doesn´t seem to be possible in IrfanView. For that reason I would like to propose a quite simple feature (which of course could be expanded to a complex one): A shortcut or button which toggles the state of a picture between "selected" and "not selected" (visualized by an according icon or something). Another button could provide a list of the selected picture names as plain text or something. The selection status would survive for a current session in the current folder only.

This would the most simple way of providing such a selection list. In principle it would be possible to open a scrollable side bar where all selected images are added, and when you click on one of the thumbs there the according image would be shown in the main screen again. And so forth. But following the KIS approach and for the beginning a very simply marking mechanism would be very useful.

To day I always need to manually read the file name from the title bar and note it down in a text editor which is quite annoying.

Hi krza
    I am a novice so apologize in advance, but wonder whether the hotkey X and shift + X, would be useful. see help > keyboard shortcuts
    X Browsing (window or fullscreen mode): tag current file
    SHIFT + X Browsing (window or fullscreen mode): un-tag current file

Comment

Originally posted by Al View Post
      Hi krza
      I am a novice so apologize in advance, but wonder whether the hotkey X and shift + X, would be useful. see help > keyboard shortcuts
      X Browsing (window or fullscreen mode): tag current file
      SHIFT + X Browsing (window or fullscreen mode): un-tag current file
      You may be a novice, but you found the right answer. The feature request is already available.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Don't forget that after tagging those files that you want, you press Shift+Q to display the files you have tagged in the Thumbnails viewer. From there you can double click on one of the thumbnails to open that image in the Viewer window again. Only the ones you have tagged will now appear in the Viewer window as you browse. You cannot use Shift+X to uncheck files selectively any more, since only the checked ones are viewable, but you can press F5 in either Viewer or Thumbnails window to restore them all.

You could configure the Thumbnails viewer as your sidebar from its View menu by checking the List view and unchecking the Directory tree box, then resizing the Thumbnails window to the shape you want. Unfortunately Irfanview does not remember the last used size for the Thumbnails window. You will have to resize it again every time you use it.

Comment

Working...
        X