problem playing mp4 files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem playing mp4 files

Recently, for no apparent reason, irfanview started crashing every time I tried to play an mp4 file. They played before and then stopped for some reason. Avi's still play fine.

I was using version 4.38 and replaced it with the 64bit version 4.44 but the same thing happens.

I'm not crazy, irfanview plays mp4's, right?

It might be a Windows update problem. I don't have any MP4 files to check, but my Video folder contains a WebM file. IrfanView crashes when I try to open it, but so does Windows Explorer when I just try to open the folder!
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yeap. Same problem here.

After forced windows update (I used some shady soft to turn off those updates, but Microsoft doesn't seem to care...) irfanview now crashes every time I try to open/play .mp4 file, while all other formats (well, majority, because more rare ones I didn't try to check) it opens just fine.

Before the update everything worked just fine.

Updating codecs and fiddling with their settings, reinstalling and updating irfanview to latest version didn't help.

Comment

You are not alone. I had the same problem. I wrote in another recent thread that I had fixed mine by updating the K-Lite codec pack that I have installed.
        I suspect that the underlying problem is this Windows 10 update reported here.
        Last edited by Mij; 29.03.2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          You are not alone. I had the same problem. I wrote in another recent thread that I had fixed mine by updating the K-Lite codec pack that I have installed.
          Thanks for the info! Gonna check if it works )

Comment

No problem here with Irfanview 4.44/32 and Win10 Home. The player is set to MCI interface.
            .AVI, .MP4 and .MPG play fine, besides that older .MPG videos play way too fast.
            Since all video formats are containers, it would be helpful to have the FCC (the subformat) code of the videos that doesn't play.
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

As far as I can gather the Windows 10 update that causes this problem is KB4013429 which I see got installed on my computer on 16th March. Those who upgraded from Windows 7 are specifically affected.

Comment

Oh, that may be the reason why my system is not affected. I did a fresh install of Win10 to avoid problems with the previous Win7 installation.
                Also, I did not get KB4013429, but got KB4013418 instead and, one week later, KB4016635. The latter was to solve a problem with KB4013418, but I did not come across
                problems on my PC. My Windows version now is 1607, build 14393.970.
                Maybe you could see if there is a recent update for your system, which solves the problems with video.
                Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
                Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

k-lite update didn't work

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  I installed the k-lite mega pack but still get the crashing unfortunately.

Thanks anway.

Comment

Well you could install the Microsoft update KB4015438 which is supposed to fix it.
                    Microsoft don't seem to be in any hurry to issue it as part of the normal update service even though they admit that it is causing problems to some users.

Comment

The only way I could solve this was by deleting *.mpg and *.webm files via a command line prompt.

Installing the codecs and updates did not seem to solve the issue. Anyway, I can now view my *.wmv videos.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If you have K-Lite media pack, open the Codec Tweak Tool.

Go to Preferred Decoders in the bottom left, and for your version of irfanview (32/64 bit), select "Use Merit (recommended)" for all the options, or just the specific one that is broken if you know.

It should work. I believe the issue is when you use "Microsoft" instead of "Merit (recommended)" or "LAV Splitter".

The videos should now always work, not just sometimes play and/or never play for some videos.

Optionally, do this too:

Go to General > Fixes and select these to reset anything that needs fixed. I just do this whenever something's up, because windows update and stuff messes with KLCP codec configuration
                        Detect and remove broken DirectShow filters
                        Re-register base directshow filters
                        Re-register Directshhow filters from K Lite codec pack
                        Clear ActiveMovie filter cache
                        Reset Media Foundation

I also try turning off and on directshow in Irfanview, in case this re-initializes something.

Comment

Working...
                        X