Save As original file type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Save As original file type

Add to the Save As drop down list the ability to save an image as the original file type. If it was a .jpg then save it as a .jpg, if it was a .png save is as a .png ... etc.

That's what the Save (original folder) command does (Ctrl S).
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I understand that the Save command does that but the Save As command only allows me to choose a single filetype. I don't want to overwrite the original file. If I'm walking thru a folder that has files named Image1.tif, Image1.png and Image1.jpg, all different images, then when I do a Save As I have to alter the filenames to Image1-A.jpg, Image1-B.jpg and Image1-C.jpg. It'd be a real convenience to have the Save As function save the file with the original file suffix.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silver Fox View Post
        If I'm walking thru a folder that has files named Image1.tif, Image1.png and Image1.jpg, all different images, then when I do a Save As I have to alter the filenames to Image1-A.jpg, Image1-B.jpg and Image1-C.jpg. It'd be a real convenience to have the Save As function save the file with the original file suffix.
        No. You would only have to change the file name, not the suffix.

By default, when you do Ctrl S, the filename, e.g. "Image1" is selected, so you either need to overtype with Image2, or press the end cursor, backspace, and type "2."
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The "Save as" dialog shows the Folder name and the File type (suffix) that you used last time, displayed in the "Save In" box at the top and the "Save as type" box near the bottom. Both these boxes have a Dropdown arrow at their right hand end that you can click on and choose new ones if you want to.
          Next time you use "Save As" the new ones will be shown.
          The "File name" box displays the name of the file you are currently viewing. If you want to change that you have to highlight and edit the name that is shown.

That all seems pretty sensible to me.

Comment

Working...
          X