Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Management(ICC) options. (possible bug?)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Color Management(ICC) options. (possible bug?)

Hi,

Can someone please explain what this option does?

"Options > Poperties/Settings > Zoom / Color management >
    [ ] Apply also for images without color profile (slow), set input ICC profile."

The help file just says ""If you activate Apply also for images without embedded color profile, color management will be used for ALL (!) loaded images, which makes the loading much slower. For images without an embedded color profile, you can set a custom input ICC/ICM file. Default is sRGB."

I've experienced some very odd behavior when saving files with this option checked. I didn't expect it to change image color when it is saved, but apperently it does. So maybe I'm just not understanding what's going on.

Thanks for any help.

- pixel8tor -

Really? No one knows how this works?

- pixel8tor -

Comment

This article provides test images in different colour spaces, with properly embedded colour oprofiles. The "whacked" example might be most useful, instantly showing setup problems. (You have to read/scroll way down.)

You might also read articles on colour management and ICC profiles on Wikipedia.

IrfanView's colour management works OK for me. Assigning a wrong ICC profile to an image will certainly break it's colours. Correctly built/tagged images will be displayed correctly, no matter the colour space.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply but the problem isn't with displaying images. As I said originally "I've experienced some very odd behavior when saving files with this option checked."

Try this:

Turn off this option. Open a file and save it as "temp01"
        Turn on this option. Open the original file and save it as "temp02"
        Compare "temp01" to "temp02". They are different. Why? It seems to me they should be the same -- nothing was edited but you end up with 2 very different files. If this option is for handling untagged files with an assumed profile for display purposes than it shouldn't effect saving should it?

Thanks again.

- pixel8tor -

Comment

Personally I cannot understand what it is you are doing and why you expect the file to be unchanged.

1. Does your file have an embedded color profile?
          2. Is it the "Enable color management.." checkbox that you are turning On and Off or the "Apply also for images without embedded color profiles.." one, or both?
          3. What, if anything, have you entered in the boxes in the dialog. Is it an ICC profile, the default (sRGB), or nothing
          4. Do you see the colors changing on the screen as soon as you turn the option on and off or just in the images you have saved?

Comment

Sorry you're confused but if you read the OP you'll have all the info you need.

But anyway never mind. I've used IrfanView for several years but it's time to move on. For my taste FastStone viewer implements ICC profiles properly. Oh and by the way, IV doesn't handle LAB color space tiffs properly. I've told Irfan about this before but he says "There is no bug ..." So enough, good luck and bye bye.

Comment

Working...
            X