Images saved in Photoshop not the same in Irfanview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Images saved in Photoshop not the same in Irfanview

Strange one this, and probably something simple I'm missing. When I edit a photo, colour levels etc, in Photoshop and save it, then open it with Irfanview, the colour changes appear to have vanished, it looks desaturated. Windows image viewer and Gimp both display it as saved by Photoshop, just not Irfanview. And if I then save it in Irfanview, with no edits, it saves it looking desaturated. I'm using jpg files, haven't tested with other formats.

(Win7, Iview 4.44)

I suspect it may be something to do with Colour Management. See Settings, Zoom/Colour Management.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I suspect it may be something to do with Colour Management. See Settings, Zoom/Colour Management.
      Hi, sorry for the late reply, been sidetracked and not got round to testing further (until now, when it was being a nuisance again).

I have tried the various options in colour management, no effect.

I tried a few different file formats. The issue is present in jpg, tiff, png, psd. Not present with bmp, gif.

Have attached an example crop of an image, with the Irfanview view on the left, windows pic viewer's view on the right (which is also how it displays in Gimp, only Irfanview is displaying differently). Notice how the red stripe is noticeably less vivid in Irfanview, as well as the image being generally slightly lighter/lower contrast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iview bug example.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	81661

Comment

Can you please upload the actual image file so it can be examined.

Incidentally, you should only use JPG files for photos and never use JPG for graphics. JPG gives a clue why - it stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group which defined the standard.

JPG uses lossy compression where data is lost. It also add artefacts to assist the compression, blurs edges and corrupts text badly.

JPG is great for photos ... and useless for anything else (unless used at very high pixel counts).
        Last edited by John_Ha; 06.05.2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Ha View Post

Incidentally, you should only use JPG files for photos and never use JPG for graphics. JPG gives a clue why - it stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group which defined the standard.

JPG uses lossy compression where data is lost. It also add artefacts to assist the compression, blurs edges and corrupts text badly.

JPG is great for photos ... and useless for anything else (unless used at very high pixel counts).
          I know what jpeg is, and it IS a photo. Have attached the image file I gave as the example as it shows up well on it, though happens on most, if not all, jpegs edited in PS.

Steps to reproduce:

Open image in Adobe Raw or PS

Increase vibrance, saturation or contrast.

Save image (as jpg)

Open saved jpg in Iview
          Attached Files

Comment

As John_Ha said:

Otherwise, no one can help you.

The RAW image will be too big to attach, so provide a link to it on DropBox or Filebin
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              As John_Ha said:

Otherwise, no one can help you.

The RAW image will be too big to attach, so provide a link to it on DropBox or Filebin
              I did, it's attached it to the post. But here's the filebin link anyway - https://filebin.net/dpgmiuunj7guqb6r

Comment

Maybe you have a default color profile active in Photoshop that is not sRGB (under Color Settings). Since Stobart_1.jpg does not embed a profile, IrfanView or other applications can't color manage it. Convert to sRGB before exporting. I see no difference between IrfanView and Photoshop, there cannot be. In the example picture the difference in levels is very small, much smaller than common profiles would give (Adobe RGB, Apple RGB).

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                  Maybe you have a default color profile active in Photoshop that is not sRGB (under Color Settings). Since Stobart_1.jpg does not embed a profile, IrfanView or other applications can't color manage it. Convert to sRGB before exporting. I see no difference between IrfanView and Photoshop, there cannot be. In the example picture the difference in levels is very small, much smaller than common profiles would give (Adobe RGB, Apple RGB).
                  Thanks, you nailed it with your first line At some point PS has changed to a non srgb default profile and was embedding all images with Adobe rgb, which Windows and Gimp clearly have no problem with, but Irfanview does.

I would argue it's still a bug, albeit quite minor, if even windows can handle Adobe rgb but iview can't (an image editor should at LEAST match the colour profile compatibility of an OS, never mind it's competition). But I'm happy now so I'll leave that for you guys to decide

Comment

I admit I didn't actually check the example, but AdobeRGB assumed on the left side does make it approximately match the right side.

For me IrfanView does apply the color profile using the LCMS.DLL component in the plugins directory. Maybe for some reason it can't read the current default profile, in which case you could browse to sRGB, or whichever is the monitor's current, and indicate it as the target. Neither of the 2 posted JPEG files included a profile, PS reports them as Untagged.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/GFGbZyu.jpg

Loading an image with profile takes 3 times as long. If the photo is to be shared with other people sRGB would give the highest compatibility. The red lines might get more definition if saved without chroma subsampling (depending on the sharpness of the source material).

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                      I admit I didn't actually check the example, but AdobeRGB assumed on the left side does make it approximately match the right side.

For me IrfanView does apply the color profile using the LCMS.DLL component in the plugins directory. Maybe for some reason it can't read the current default profile, in which case you could browse to sRGB, or whichever is the monitor's current, and indicate it as the target. Neither of the 2 posted JPEG files included a profile, PS reports them as Untagged.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/GFGbZyu.jpg

Loading an image with profile takes 3 times as long. If the photo is to be shared with other people sRGB would give the highest compatibility. The red lines might get more definition if saved without chroma subsampling (depending on the sharpness of the source material).
                      That also adds to the explanation - I don't install the additional plugins as a whole (just the one or two I use) so don't have lcms.dll installed. And thanks for the subsampling tip, but the pic is far from important enough to worry about, was just playing about with it and the red lines showed up the issue well, but will bear in mind in future

Comment

Working...
                      X