Mouse scroll wheel nagivation sometimes skips, sometimes reverses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Mouse scroll wheel nagivation sometimes skips, sometimes reverses

I've tried searching for the issue I've been experiencing but was unable to find anyone else mentioning it. Perhaps I'm the only one it's happening to or perhaps I'm not using the correct search terms. At any rate, my issue is that while using the mouse scroll wheel to navigate through images, sometimes a single scroll will act like two scrolls and skip past an image, displaying the skipped image only briefly like I actually scrolled twice instead of once. Other times I will scroll once and Irfanview will go to the next image and then immediately go back to the image I was just on, as if I scrolled forward once and immediately scrolled back. It doesn't happen every time but it does happen rather frequently and it's been happening for many past versions of Irfanview. I'm currently on the latest version, 4.44, the 32 bit version. I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 with a Intel Core i7 and 16 GB RAM.

For a while I just thought it was my mouse, even though the scroll wheel never seemed to glitch on other programs, but then when I got a laptop it would happen on that too using a wireless USB mouse. And when I got a new USB mouse for my PC it continued to happen. Perhaps it's a program I have installed, though since it happens on both my PC and laptop it would need to be a program installed on both. It's been happening for years and I've gone through at least 2 PCs and 3 laptop since I noticed it. I don't remember far enough back to say if it happened on Windows XP, but it definitely happened on Windows 7 and is now on Windows 10. Occasionally I try searching Google to see if anyone else has the same issue but I never find anything. So it seems like this is just happening to me, which I find strange.

Another thing I tried was using the forward and back buttons on the mouse to navigate instead of the scroll wheel, but the same thing seems to happen with those buttons as well. I can't try that on my laptop because the wireless mouse does not have those extra buttons. Has anyone ever had this experience or am I somehow cursed? I'm really not sure if I should be declaring this a bug since no one else apparently experiences it, but it sure feels like a bug to me as the program is not behaving as intended by the programmer. If it's not a bug, please move this thread to the appropriate forum. Thanks all!

I am unable to reproduce this.

Check your settings in Properties/Settings, Extensions, for Load only associated file types while moving through directory, or Load custom file types.

If some file types are being skipped, that would be By Design.

Also check your mouse settings in Windows. My mouse is set to scroll 5 lines at a time.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

May be its the size of the pictures you scroll through. I just tried with a bunch of pictures with different sizes from 15 KB to 6.5 MB.
      Since my graphics card isn't the fastest, the time to render a big picture takes longer than the time to scroll to the next picture. So the
      big picture is skipped. My mouse is set to scroll 2 lines at a time.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

I have it set to only load images, and have my mouse scroll wheel set to scroll by 3 lines. I have noticed more on large images but haven't had the chance to do more testing to confirm it only happens with large images. Regardless of how many lines a scroll wheel is set to scroll, shouldn't it only be scrolling one pic at a time for each tick of the scroll wheel? It seems to work that way most of the time.

Comment

I also have a setting of 3 lines per click for the mouse wheel. For images from my camera (4320x3240 pixels) and set to 100% zoom ratio a single press of the up or down arrow button scrolls the image by 5 pixels. A single click of the mouse wheel scrolls the image by 3x5 i.e 15 pixels.
          The minimum movement of the mouse cursor is 1 pixel (if your hand is steady enough).

Comment

I have the "Fit only big images to desktop" option enabled so my scroll wheel scrolls through the images in the directory. I've been noticing that this issue does mainly seem to happen with really large images like those from my camera (5312x2988).

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were doing. Yes if you are using the mouse wheel to more forward or back through the images then the "lines per click" setting of the mouse is irrelevant. It should always move on or back by one image per click of the wheel.

Comment

Working...
              X