Raw format camera files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw format camera files.

I've just tried reading raw format files from a couple of different cameras, and I'm immediately presented with an image. Perfect, thank you.

But ... you knew it was coming ... the images are all loaded as 24-bit RGB; where I know that at least some of the raw files contain 12-bits and 14-bits of information per channel per pel.

What I would like to do is be able to extract and save that information as a (say) 48-bit tiff file.

I suspect that this is not a sufficiently widely wanted feature to warrant adding it to the program, so I'm wondering if the raw-file read routines that IV uses are available as source?

I'm programmer and comfortable with writing tiff files using libTiff; I just need to be able to read the raw format(s) and get access to the data therein.

I'm specifically interested in .CR2, .arw and .rw2 mostly used by Panasonic and Canon.

I'd willing feed back anything I develop back to IV for inclusion if that was something that would fit.

Can you guys help me?

Thanks, Buk

As long as the format used by IrfanView is 24-bit RGB, no plugins are going to be able to support higher bit depths. Better use a Photo Editor if you want to edit RAW.

IrfanView is just fine for viewing them, using the default setting to load low resolution JPG preview images to speed up the process of browsing images. Set an external program to launch with any file that you wish to edit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAW Image.png
Views:	1
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	81640Click image for larger version

Name:	Preview Image.png
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	81641
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      As long as the format used by IrfanView is 24-bit RGB, no plugins are going to be able to support higher bit depths. Better use a Photo Editor if you want to edit RAW.

IrfanView is just fine for viewing them, using the default setting to load low resolution JPG preview images to speed up the process of browsing images. Set an external program to launch with any file that you wish to edit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4758[/ATTACH]
      Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly.

IV is just extracting whatever resolution jpg is embedded in the raw files and displaying that?

I'm perplexed by what the two attachments is showing me?

I can see the two images are different sizes and take vastly different amounts of time to load; but the file seems to be the same one?

Does that mean the file in question contains *two* embedded jpgs of different sizes?

Comment

One shows the decoded RAW image in its full resolution, but it's still only 24-bit. The other screen shot shows the JPG preview image.

If you want to always load the original RAW image, disable this option in Properties/Settings, Plugins. It will take 20 seconds longer to load, but it will be the full resolution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Load RAW images.png
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	81642
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.04.2017, 11:48 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

the decoded RAW image [ATTACH=CONFIG]4759[/ATTACH]
          Okay. And is that decoding done using publicly available code -- a library or dll?

Comment

It is done by Formats.dll

See the IrfanView plugins page.

Do you understand why IrfanView does not support 16-bit per channel and that you're wasting your time developing plugins until it does?

Comment

It is done by Formats.dll See the IrfanView plugins page.
              Thanks. I can see the entry points in the DLL. Is there a description of the APIs anywhere?

Do you understand why IrfanView does not support 16-bit per channel and that you're wasting your time developing plugins until it does?
              Yes. I understand that as a viewer, IV can only display what the screen can handle.

I realise that I wasn't very clear in my original post; I hadn't actually thought of developing an IV plugin. My primary purpose is to extract as much information as is available from the raw format files for my camera, into a 48-bit tiff for further manipulation; as a standalone application for my own personal use.

As a long time user -- since v2.something from memory -- I knew that IV could probably handle the files; and my hope was that I might be able to use IVs raw file reading routines for my purposes. The offer to feed back whatever I develop back to IV was just an offer of reciprocity. If what I produced was in any way useful, you would be welcome to it.

However, in reducing the 12- or 14- or 16-bit data these files contain to 24-bit rgb, those read routines are making an informed but arbitrary decision about what to discard. Is there any mileage in a plug-in that allows the user to influence the reduction of the contained color depth to 24-bit rgb by specifying the WB or color balance or gamma correction, brightness/contrast etc. to be applied to the full-depth information *prior* to its reduction to 24-bit rgb?

In the same way you can choose to influence the parameters when saving a file, an extra dialog when loading one of these files could offer the chance to make choices before the file is read. Essentially an extension of the existing "Plug-ins properties", but on a file by file basis. I realise that doesn't really work, as any changes would be transient unless the user chose to save the file to a different format; but maybe it could be used as an addition command line option for batch processing.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts whilst typing this reply, probably not well thought through.

But if it is possible for me to get an api description so that I might use the formats.dll from my own code, that would be a great help to me personally; and maybe something useful to IV could come from it.

Thanks for your time, Buk

Comment

Working...
              X