How to prevent IrfanView crash on image save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to prevent IrfanView crash on image save

I have latest IrfanView running on both x86 and x64 Windows 7 and in both cases often get crashes after editing an image and attempting to save it. The crashes are random and seem to happen whether I'm saving to a new file name or back to original folder/name. Suggestions welcome.

Are you saving after using the IrfanPaint plugin?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Almost always this happens when I've enabled "Show Paint dialog" and particularly when using the "Clone" tool.

Comment

See this thread. It's an ongoing problem for some users.

Try closing the Paint Dialogue before saving then reopen it (F12 shortcut).
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Try closing the Paint Dialogue before saving then reopen it (F12 shortcut).
          Thanks for your reply and link. I tried this but can't say it reliably solved the problem. Will look forward to next version.

Comment

I don't think that the next version will fix this, because the Paint dialogue is a plugin which was not developed by Irfan Skiljan.

It was developed by Matteo Italia, who does no longer do any development for Paint.

I always close Paint before saving a picture.

Maybe, if you select the arrow tool before saving with an open Paint dialogue, IrfanView will not crash.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.04.2017, 08:09 PM.
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
              I don't think that the next version will fix this, because the Paint dialogue is a plugin which was not developed by Irfan Skiljan.
              He did say, in response to my bug report, that he regarded fixing the Paint Plugin crashes as a top priority.

Your tip for avoiding them should always work IMO. If the plugin is not open, how can it cause a crash?

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                He did say, in response to my bug report, that he regarded fixing the Paint Plugin crashes as a top priority.

Your tip for avoiding them should always work IMO. If the plugin is not open, how can it cause a crash?
                If something got corrupted while the Paint plugin was open it is quite possible for that to cause the crash later when you try to save the file, even if Paint has been closed.

I recall that Matteo once said that he could not understand why the Paint plugin would not work with Windows 98. Maybe if Irfan gave up trying to support these ancient operating systems it might be easier to solve some of these long standing problems.

Comment

Working...
                X