File > Select Scan / TWAIN Source does not see Canon CanoScan LiDE Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File > Select Scan / TWAIN Source does not see Canon CanoScan LiDE Scanner

I did a vanilla installation of IV 4.44 32-bit. IV runs fine except when I go File > Select Scan/TWAIN Source ..., IV does not see my CanoScan LiDE Scanner TWAIN driver - it only sees the WIA-WIA driver. Previously IV always saw both, and I used the TWAIN driver. I don't know how or when this changed but it had been fine for many, many years.

Following the advice given in the 2102 thread Canon Scangear missing from TWAIN list in Irfanview + Paint.net but not MS Imaging? I set IV to run in XP Mode. When I run IV it sees both the TWAIN and the WIA-WIA drivers. The XP Mode is the "latest" which works. Excellent ...

... apart from the fact that now, whenever I start IV, I get an annoying User Account Control pop-up window asking if I want iview_32.exe to make changes. If I say yes, IV starts and I can see both TWAIN and WIA-WIA drivers.

How do I prevent the pop-up window appearing? I just want to click something and have IrfanView start without the pop-up. Changing iview_32.exe to "Run as administrator" and/or locating it on the desktop or in C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\ does not fix it.

My Security Settings are set to Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer. It is the third position on the chart - Never notify is lowest, then an unnamed one, then Default, then Always Notify. I want to leave it as Default.

Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition, IrfanView 4.44 32 bit, Canon CanoScan LiDE90 scanner.

EDIT 1. If I Run as administrator then IV sees the TWAIN driver without my needing to invoke XP Compatibility mode. It still gives the pop-up I am trying to get rid of.

EDIT 2. I downloaded UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 (x64) from http://www.itknowledge24.com/ as a search found that I could use it to disable the pop-up window on specified applications. I did a vanilla re-install of IV and set it to Run as administrator. I used UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 to prevent C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe generating a pop-up window. IV now starts without a pop-up window and sees both the TWAIN and WIA-WIA drivers as I want. Note that the UAC Trust Shortcut 1.0 (x86) version did not work - it had to the x64 version for my x64 CPU.

EDIT 3. D*mn! When I double click on an image file I still get the pop-up window before IV opens.

So the question remains - How do I fix this?

EDIT 4. See below. IrfanView IV 64-bit sees the TWAIN driver.
    Last edited by John_Ha; 06.05.2017, 04:26 PM. Reason: Added diagnostic information

I have a Canon Lide220 and both the Twain and the WIA appear in the Select Scan/Twain Source box (see below) and both work.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Scanners.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	81659
    The Irfanview help file does say expressly that the information comes from Windows, not from Irfanview.

I bought the Lide220 last year, plugged it in and Windows 10 just installed it for me. I do not remember being asked questions about what interface I wanted to use. I bought it to replace a Lide60 which would not work in Windows 10 after the infamous Anniversary update. Until then it worked fine using Windows 7 drivers but as Canon offer no Windows 10 drivers for the Lide60 (or the Lide90 for that matter), it was the end of the road for a perfectly good scanner. The entry for the Lide60 still appears on the list though as you can see and I have no idea how to remove it. I presume it comes from a key somewhere in the Registry but since the Lide60 does not appear in the Printers and Devices section of Control panel there is nothing that I can uninstall.

So I am afraid I cannot help with your problem. You probably need to ask about it on Windows or Canon forums, not here.

Comment

I installed IrfanView 4.44 64 bit and it can see both the CanoScan TWAIN driver and the WIA-WIA driver.

I was very surprised because the release notes say "Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)". However, my latest downloaded Canon driver for my Lide 90 includes a 64 bit driver.

So there seems to be something wrong in IV 32 bit where it needs to Run As Administrator in order for it to see the TWAIN driver.

I have posted a bug report IrfanView 4.44 32 bit does not see TWAIN driver. IV 64 bit does see it
      Last edited by John_Ha; 06.05.2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

This is very strange.

My SSD crashed spectacularly and I had to rebuild Windows 7 Home Premium and reinstall IV.

IrfanView 64 bit now sees the original 32 bit TWAIN driver!

I have not checked to see if IV 32 bit also sees it on the grounds that, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but if Irfan needs me to do the test I will do so, not least because I have discovered Macrium Reflect. I can do a Full System Image of 93GB of "W7 and data" on my SSD, and write it to my old Hard Drive in only 16 minutes. My 2.5 GB daily Incremental takes 2 minutes.

I have updated the bug report and closed it.

Comment

Working...
        X