Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: EXIF Modification (Single and Batch)

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

EXIFeditor is also free and you can edit any EXIF tag. I use v2.0. Download from Softpedia or various other sites.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.28
    CPU Cores

Picmeta http://www.picmeta.com makes PIE, Picture Information Extractor, which also has rich EXIF viewing and editing capabilities

Version
    IrfanView 4.10
    OS
    Win XP Pro

Default and geotagging

Hi, I've stumbled into this >1y old thread. Is EXIF manipulation in the latest version of Irfanview or should I start learning the helpfully suggested alternatives above? By way of a slight enlargement of the topic, I'm hoping to find a tool that allows me to inject EXIF for the first time into those primitive EXIF-less jpgs produced by cheap mobile phone cameras like mine. Ideally I'd take a batch file that uses the save date&time (before it's overwritten) to set the exposure/digitisation date&time. The motivation is geotagging - the software with my new GPS logger uses EXIF date&time to synch with time-tagged lat,long data.

Version
    IrfanView 4.37
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Whoa! a lot of questions here. I do not profess to know the exact answers you are looking for, but I can answer a few.

IrfanView can alter the some EXIF (and IPTC) meta-data within the JPG file format structure.

I do not know if batch files can be used to alter EXIF data, but I think (emphasis on the THINK part) that you may be able to (did I distance myself significantly enough away from the "arrows in the back if I am wrong" specifics? I think so ...) you can.

I do know that IrfanView can display and change EXIF data. I do know that geo-tagging data, such as the GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude data, can be read (not altered - what's the point?).

Your "GPS Logger" (whatever that is) should match the recorded data that IrfanView.
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Version
    IrfanView 4.10
    OS
    Win XP Pro

Default EXIF injection

Thanks for response. Guess I'd better upgrade from my IV 4.10 because it only shows me EXIF data without letting me edit, but the ability to edit doesn't necessarily mean that the program can inject a set of EXIF fields into a jpg that didn't have any EXIF before. Experimenting I've found that re-saving an EXIF-less jpg with MS Paint V5.1 does pop in a bit of EXIF but not date&time of exposure or lat,long.
    I've downloaded jpgtime as a tool to reset (existing) EXIF date&time of exposure to file save date&time.
    GPS loggers (the size of a match box) record their position and the time regularly, and are typically accompanied by PC software that lets you merge their data with a bunch of jpgs taken when the camera and logger were close together, using the time stamps in the spatial and jpg data to save appropriate longitude and latitude coordinates into the jpg EXIF fields. When it works, you can map your photos out on Google Earth or Maps. I count 2 other forum posts on geotagging.

Version
    IrfanView 4.37
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Sorry, I misspoke, IrfanView does not give a method of changing the EXIF data, only the IPTC data can be changed.
    But there are other reasons you ought to upgrade to v4.25 (the current version). Why are you holding back?
    I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
    Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Thread Information