No announcement yet.

EXIF Modification (Single and Batch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a free distribution of ACDSee (2.44) and there's of course the free FastStone Image Viewer. Look at the attachment and you know why I use IrfanView. Special attention to the sloping edge of the roof.

This is a crop of an image 1600 x 1200 pixels. My screen is 1280 x 1024. Showing the image in Full screen-modus the pixels must be interpolated. IrfanView takes this matter with great accuracy by the option 'resample' (Properties\Full screen.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sjef; 17.07.2007, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowcrust View Post
      … wants to know how you can edit the Exif data in the files themselves. I've heard that it IS possible with IrfanView.... but how?
      Nope, it is not currently possible with IV v4.00.

You can see the EXIF data, and you can see and edit the IPTC data.
      You can even use either data set to modify the name of the images.
      But you can't edit the EXIF data.
      I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
      Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

It would be great if IV Batch had a facility to add 'fake' DCF/EXIF data to files which do not have it as they are saved.
        Last edited by Vince; 17.01.2008, 06:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Long time since the question, but this might help one aspect. There is a free program at:

learsy.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf learsy.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

which will change both the time stamp on a file, and the EXIF time in a .jpg file. It allows you to set an increment/decrement and apply it to a set of selected files.

I've been using it to "fix" the timezone time/date on pictures for at least a year.

Comment

Time Stamp Modifier for JPEG Files

Thanks Bates550 and calberga, this program will definitely save my ass today as I've been taking photos since the Daylight Savings shift and neglected to update my camera's internal time.

I agree that IrfanView's EXIF Plugin ought to support the modification of EXIF data. I've contacted the developer of another EXIF DLL that may be capable of writing EXIF data, which can hopefully find its way into IV. I don't know who is responsible for developing the official EXIF Plugin DLL... but it definitely contains no write functions.

Comment

EXIFeditor is also free and you can edit any EXIF tag. I use v2.0. Download from Softpedia or various other sites.

Comment

Picmeta http://www.picmeta.com makes PIE, Picture Information Extractor, which also has rich EXIF viewing and editing capabilities

Comment

and geotagging

Hi, I've stumbled into this >1y old thread. Is EXIF manipulation in the latest version of Irfanview or should I start learning the helpfully suggested alternatives above? By way of a slight enlargement of the topic, I'm hoping to find a tool that allows me to inject EXIF for the first time into those primitive EXIF-less jpgs produced by cheap mobile phone cameras like mine. Ideally I'd take a batch file that uses the save date&time (before it's overwritten) to set the exposure/digitisation date&time. The motivation is geotagging - the software with my new GPS logger uses EXIF date&time to synch with time-tagged lat,long data.

Comment

Whoa! a lot of questions here. I do not profess to know the exact answers you are looking for, but I can answer a few.

IrfanView can alter the some EXIF (and IPTC) meta-data within the JPG file format structure.

I do not know if batch files can be used to alter EXIF data, but I think (emphasis on the THINK part) that you may be able to (did I distance myself significantly enough away from the "arrows in the back if I am wrong" specifics? I think so ...) you can.

I do know that IrfanView can display and change EXIF data. I do know that geo-tagging data, such as the GPSLatitude and GPSLongitude data, can be read (not altered - what's the point?).

Your "GPS Logger" (whatever that is) should match the recorded data that IrfanView.

Comment

EXIF injection

Thanks for response. Guess I'd better upgrade from my IV 4.10 because it only shows me EXIF data without letting me edit, but the ability to edit doesn't necessarily mean that the program can inject a set of EXIF fields into a jpg that didn't have any EXIF before. Experimenting I've found that re-saving an EXIF-less jpg with MS Paint V5.1 does pop in a bit of EXIF but not date&time of exposure or lat,long.
                      I've downloaded jpgtime as a tool to reset (existing) EXIF date&time of exposure to file save date&time.
                      GPS loggers (the size of a match box) record their position and the time regularly, and are typically accompanied by PC software that lets you merge their data with a bunch of jpgs taken when the camera and logger were close together, using the time stamps in the spatial and jpg data to save appropriate longitude and latitude coordinates into the jpg EXIF fields. When it works, you can map your photos out on Google Earth or Maps. I count 2 other forum posts on geotagging.

Comment

Sorry, I misspoke, IrfanView does not give a method of changing the EXIF data, only the IPTC data can be changed.
                        But there are other reasons you ought to upgrade to v4.25 (the current version). Why are you holding back?

Comment

Working...
                        X