Irfan loses image file on "Move" to relative directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded Irfan loses image file on "Move" to relative directory

Put a relative path into the "Move File" dialog: "..\2nds", in slot #9, to move to my "standard" sub-directory where I relegate lesser-liked images (directory already exists).
    Opened the file to move.
    Pressed "F7" (Move)
    Pressed "9"
    Got error message "Error copying file R:\XYZ.jpg (..\2nds\XYZ.jpg)"
    Image is now gone from Windows Explorer. Not in Recycle Bin, cannot "undo" - just Gone.
    IrfanView remained open with image. However, a stated, the source file behind it is no longer in the source directory.

Repeatable 100%

IrfanView v4.44 / x64, plugins 4.44/64
    Windows 10/64 w/latest updates

HW Specs:
    Motherboard: GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
    CPU: Core i7-6700K Skylake @ stock 4GHz
    RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ stock
    HDD/OS: Samsung 950 512GB PCIe Gen3 x4
    HDD/Data: 16TB RAID6 on Adaptec controller
    Stable since Day 1, 18 months ago

Easy enough to reproduce.

Could be nasty if user moves a lot of files before noticing this bug.

I have forwarded the report to Irfan Skiljan.

Note that anyone can do this: See Help, About for his contact address, but it's always good to get confirmation first to try to eliminate user error.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Irfan Skiljan cannot reproduce it.

I don't have time to debug this. Please contact Irfan Skiljan yourself.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Does it depend on where you are trying to send it to?
        Since I do not use the F7 move function much, destination 9 is still set to the default C:\TEMP.
        That seems to work OK.

Comment

I believe it is all about the location (path) chosen for the move, relative vs. absolute: "C:\temp" is a valid absolute address. "..\2nds" is a relative address, i.e. relative to the current directory of the source file (thus I could use this in any image directory that had a subdirectory of "..\2nds")

For example:
          1) create a directory "C:\pics", and place an image file here
          2) create a subdirectory "C:\pics\2nds"
          3) set the path for one or more slots in the F7/Move File dialog *literally* to "..\2nds" (to match the subdirectory above), say Slot #1
          NOTE: do NOT set the slot to "C:\pics\2nds", which is an ABSOLUTE path - this is about RELATIVE paths
          4) open the image in "C:\pics" using IrfanView
          5) Press F7 (Move), then press the "1" key (to match the slot chosen in step 3)
          The expectation is that the image is moved to the relative directory ("C:\pics\2nds") under the image's source directory ("C:\pics")

Rather, you should get the error, and the file is now gone from the "C:\Pics" directory, but NOT in the "C:\pics\2nds" directory, OR in the Trash - just completely gone from the computer.

@Mij: does it happen to you if you do it this way?
          @Bhikkhu: thanks for the quick verify

Comment

OK. Irfanview does not understand your double dot format ..\2nds
            In the Help file under File Menu > Copy/Move files you will see that it should be a single dot .\2nds
            In fact I notice that just 2nds also works.

I suppose an unrecognised format ought to be trapped so that you do not lose your image but I guess you cannot trap every possible error.

Comment

If your directories are "C:\pics" and "C:\pics\2nds", then the relative path for 2nds is not "..\2nds" but simply "2nds". "..\2nds" would point to "C:\2nds" and since that folder doesn't exist, IrfanView gives you an error.
              Last edited by elbitjusticiero; 12.05.2017, 05:39 PM. Reason: suited to specific user situation

Comment

Yes you are correct elbitjusticiero, except that Irfanview does not give an error if the folder does not exist, it creates a new one.

.\ points to the current folder where the images are and ..\ points to its parent folder.

I just tried it and ..\subs did create a new folder C:\2nds and the image that had been in C:\pics had been moved to C:\2nds

There is no bug.

Comment

Working...
                X