Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug IrfanView 4.44 32 bit does not see TWAIN driver. IV 64 bit does see it

IrfanView 4.44 32 bit does not see the CanoScan Lide 90 TWAIN driver and offers only the WIA-WIA driver. A workaround is to Run as Administrator when IV 4.44 32 bit sees both the TWAIN driver and the WI_WIA driver.

IrfanView 4.44 64 bit sees both the TWAIN and the WIA-WIA drivers. This suggests something is different between the two versions.

Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit - HP Pavilion dual Intel CPU. I suspect the problem was introduced sometime after IV 3.6.

Background

1. See File > Select Scan / TWAIN Source does not see Canon CanoScan LiDE Scanner thread for my description of the problem and diagnosis.

2. I have previously always run IV 32 bit and IrfanView has for many, many years seen the TWAIN driver. I am 99% certain TWAIN was originally a 32 bit driver but, in trying to diagnose the problem, I installed the latest CanoScan 64 bit TWAIN driver. IV 64 bit sees this 64 bit TWAIN driver. IV 32 bit does not see it ... but does see it when IV 32 bit is Run As Administrator.

3 See Canon Scangear missing from TWAIN list in Irfanview + Paint.net but not MS Imaging? for an earlier thread where a workaround was to run IrfanView in XP Compatibility mode. I have shown it is not necessary to be in XP Compatibility Mode as Run As Administrator, without being in XP Compatibility Mode, fixes the problem.
    Last edited by John_Ha; 05.05.2017, 02:53 PM.

Where is your 32 bit Twain driver located? If you can see it when you Run as Administrator then I would assume that it must be somewhere that the Irfanview 32bit program does not normally have user access to.

Comment

I think the 32 bit TWAIN driver is probably located at C:\Windows\twain_32. I am not sure where the 64 bit version is located.

Device Manager tells me the driver(s) for the scanner includes files located in C:\Windows\Media\, C:\Windows\system32\ and C:\Windows\twain_32\.

IrfanView 32 bit is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\ although locating it on the Desktop did not fix the problem. IrfanView 64 bit is located at C:\Program Files\IrfanView\.

I used Double Drive to backup up my CanoScan Lide90 driver and it created a folder structure CanoScan LiDE 90\SCN\SGCOMMON and CNQ2412 with files.

For replicating the problem, download the CanoScan driver for Windows 7 (64-bit) from Canon CanoScan LiDE 90 and install it. With the scanner unplugged IrfanView 64-bit shows the TWAIN diver.
      Last edited by John_Ha; 06.05.2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I am not sure this is a problem with IrfanView.

My SSD crashed and I had to rebuild Windows 7 and re-install everything. IV 64 bit now picks up the 32 bit CanoScan TWAIN driver.

Comment

Thanks for the update John_Ha. I have marked the thread as No Bug.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X