No announcement yet.

"Capture object" (/capture=5) option does not save when combined with /convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug "Capture object" (/capture=5) option does not save when combined with /convert

I've been using the /capture and /convert options in combination to automatically save screenshots of the whole screen, a window or a rectangular area by changing the /capture parameter. It always works EXCEPT WITH the /capture=5 option. The object under the mouse is captured, but IrfanView never saves the file or exits. Other parameters work well, but not 5.

Windows 8.1 64 bits running IrfanView 4.44 64-bit version.

Please tell us the full command line that you're using. I tried this, which did not save the file, but I am not very familiar with using command lines in IrfanView.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=5 /convert=c:\TEMP\test.jpg
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Exactly. Try these variations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=1 /convert=c:\TEMP\test1.jpg
      C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=2 /convert=c:\TEMP\test2.jpg
      C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=3 /convert=c:\TEMP\test3.jpg
      C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=4 /convert=c:\TEMP\test4.jpg
      C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /capture=5 /convert=c:\TEMP\test5.jpg

You'll see that the first four times, IrfanView captures the screen/window/area/ whatever and exits, leaving a jpg file in your TEMP folder. The last option does not save the file and doesn't exit the program.

(EDIT: my version is i_view64.exe, of course.)
      Last edited by elbitjusticiero; 12.05.2017, 05:00 AM. Reason: clarifying

Comment

It works as I would have expected.
        You have to draw the custom rectangle manually each time for Capture=5 so the program has to wait for you to do that, but after the rectangle is drawn and you left click, it carries on closing the Irfanview window and saving the captured area in the specified file, just like 1 to 4.

I am not sure why you would want to use Capture=5 from a command line. If you wanted to define the custom area each time using program generated values you would use Capture=7.

Comment

I draw the rectangle manually, yes. And the screen area I select gets copied to IrfanView, as I would have expected. And the file is saved. But that's capture mode 4, not 5. Mode 5 is for capturing an object on the screen.

In my machine, when using this mode, IrfanView stays open and doesn't save the file. If it were because of the wait for the user to select the object, mode 4 would fail too, but it doesn't.

Are you using the 32-bit or the 64-bit version? Are you on Windows 8 like me, or a different version?

BTW I use capture from the command line because I call it from a hotkey I defined via AutoHotkey. The same method works for the other capture modes.
          Last edited by elbitjusticiero; 13.05.2017, 03:16 AM. Reason: self-correction

Comment

Irfan Skiljan replied:

This combination of options can't work ... because not all GUI options can work (easily) in command line

=> the object capture option needs an IrfanView window (a parent window), which is not created in command line mode.

It works if you use the option without /convert => object image will be shown in window and then you save it.
            ---

=> this special case: capture=5 + convert is not yet implemented, because too special
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, I get it! Thank Irfan for me, and thank you for bringing this to his attention.

(Also, I've just found you in yet another support forum helping people, which makes it at least three... you are a true fan of giving support!)

Comment

Originally posted by elbitjusticiero View Post
                (Also, I've just found you in yet another support forum helping people, which makes it at least three... you are a true fan of giving support!)
                I have spent about 30 years publishing books, 25 years developing fonts, and about 10 years publishing websites. I enjoy sharing that hard-won knowledge with others. I spend most time on the Serif forums, but also quite a lot on the High-Logic forums. I also share my knowledge of Buddhism on a the Dhamma Wheel Buddhist forums.

One learns a lot by helping others, and earns good kamma. Hopefully, it will stop me going senile before my time.

Comment

I repeated the test I reported in #4 and see that I made a mistake.

These are the results I got using the 7 capture modes in the normal way from the Irfanview GUI. The first pair captured the desktop (they are the same because I did not have an extended desktop set up). The second pair I used to capture an image displayed in Microsoft Picture Viewer. With capture 5, the subject of this thread, I selected and captured a small area of the desktop image, with 6 the Picture Viewer toolbar and with 7 the default defined area at top left of the desktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	81669 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_002.jpg
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	81670 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_003.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	81671 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_004.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	81672 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_005.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	81673 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_006.jpg
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	81674 Click image for larger version

Name:	capture_007.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	81675

These are the results I got using a Command line like the OP has proposed with the 7 capture modes. Command lines for Capture=1 and Capture=7 give the same result as from the GUI. Capture 2 and 3 were no use because the Command Prompt dialog was captured as soon as the command was executed. Capture=5 and 6 do not work, as the OP says. An empty Irfanview window opens with an error message. Capture=4 was the surprise though since, despite what Irfan has said, it behaves just like Capture 5 from the GUI. That is why I got confused and made the mistake. Sorry about that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	command001.jpg
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	81676 Click image for larger version

Name:	command002.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	81677 Click image for larger version

Name:	command003.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	81678 Click image for larger version

Name:	command004.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	81679, No command005, No command006, Click image for larger version

Name:	command007.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	81680

P.S Another apology. I see that you already reported what I discovered about Capture=4 with the Command line.
                  Last edited by Mij; 15.05.2017, 08:20 PM. Reason: Just read post #5

Comment

Working...
                  X