Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supported Improve interface with mapping softwares/services

Dear all, this is my first post.

And I'll start saying: thanks for this wonderful software, which is since years my favourite picture handler, viewer and explorer.

I am a naturalist photographer and the use of geotagging information is for me a must (my camera is equipped with GPS).
    The tool that allows to pin pictures on Google Maps, Earth, etc. is great and I am countinuously using it, but it is difficult to reach: I need 4 click per image, and when you have to do this dozens of times it's annoying.

So, I would like to have a button on the toolbar, or a keyboard shortcut, to quickly do this work: a single click or a keyboard combination should place a pin on the map of my preferred software/service (to be chosen in settings/options).
    What do you think?

Now, I don't want to abuse of your patience , but a dream feature would be the option to show a small zoomable Google Maps window (aside the image). Whenever an image with GPS information is loaded, the map is refreshed accordingly.

Thanks, Marco

Show in google maps button (or show in open street maps button) - with less clicks

Hi,

First of all thanks to Irfan for the great program, I've been using it for years.

I check the geotag information of jpg files often, and the easiest check is to show on a map; google maps or open street maps are both good for this. I've found out just now that there's a hotkey, keyboard shortcut: CTRL + O to Start Google Earth with the EXIF-GPS data of the loaded file.

Otherwise in the past I've been using either the image properties - EXIF info - Show in *** Maps dialog boxes or (I-E-M on keyboard). However I think this is a feature that could be more easily accessible with a toolbar button or a keyboard shortcut specifically for this.

It's not ideal to open with Google Earth because this is slow to load on an older computer. And with the dialog box method after showing on a map on a web page, then the two dialog boxes need to be closed.

Another route I've taken is to configure open with external editor [GeoSetter] with keyboard shortcut SHIFT-1.

However it would be simpler and much more user friendly for a button on the toolbar to have this function, and I think the simplest way would be to open in a web page, just the same way the dialog box method works.

Thanks for reading this.

Writing from Canada.

Comment

faster access to image location on map

Now I've discovered that several other popular image viewers have this feature better implemented than Irfanview, with keyboard shortcut and/or one click to view image location on map.

Honeyview (button and keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-G)

nomacs (button and configurable keyboard shortcut)

JPEGView (F2 for picture info panel and then click on coordinates shown)

Try these out and you'll see what I mean.

I recommend for Irfanview to implement something similar.

Thanks!

Comment

Some tips I have for making Irfanview friendlier to use for viewing geotagged locations:

Options > Properties/Settings > Viewing > Statusbar text (bottom of window)
        add this to end of string:
        $E499

This will show latitude and longitude in the status bar for all photos that have geotag info.
        (and for images that don't have geotag info it shows nothing or zeros which is helpful too since you know that there's no geotag data).

Install Quick Photo GPS Extract first via http://pge.bvsoft.be/quickPGE.php

Then:
        Options > Properties/Settings > Miscellaneous > Set external editors (at bottom)
        Choose spot 1, 2, or 3 and put the path for Quick Photo GPS Extract in, for me it's
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Quick Photo GPS Extract\QuickPhotoGpsExtract.exe

Use shortcut key in Irfanview SHIFT-1 (or 2 or 3) and the geotag location opens up in google maps.

Now this is quicker than the Irfanview standard method pressing "E" key, then Alt-M and then having to close the dialog box afterwards.

Comment

Version 4.62 New hotkey: CTRL + SHIFT + G: Start Google Maps with GPS of the loaded file, works great, Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X