Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simpler alternative to rotate bunch of pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Simpler alternative to rotate bunch of pictures?

Hello

I currently use a cheap Nikon CoolPix S7000 which doesn't seem to tell if a picture was taken the usual way or by rotating the camera 90° to the right: EXIF data always says "Orientation=Top Left", regardless.

As a result, I have to go through pictures through Thumbnails, and rotate all such pictures manually by using the following keyboard shortcuts:
    1. R
    2. CTRL+S
    3. Enter
    4. (for Yes) Left arrow > Enter

Is there a faster way?

Yes, I will buy another camera soon :-p

Thank you.

---
    Edit: As a work-around, in Thumbnails, manually select all the pictures that were taken at a 90° angle, and choose File > Start batch dialog with selected files.

It'd be nice if Thumbails could display a picture bigger when hovering the mouse on top of it: Thumbails are a bit small, and it's sometimes hard to tell how the picture was taken. Unless I missed it, this feature is not available in Options > Properties/Settings.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.06.2017, 07:25 PM. Reason: Problem was solved

Originally posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
    Edit: As a work-around, in Thumbnails, manually select all the pictures that were taken at a 90° angle, and choose File > Start batch dialog with selected files.
    That's what I was going to suggest. In the same menu there's also 'JPG Lossless OPerations', but I have no experience using that.

Originally posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
    It'd be nice if Thumbails could display a picture bigger when hovering the mouse on top of it: Thumbails are a bit small, and it's sometimes hard to tell how the picture was taken. Unless I missed it, this feature is not available in Options > Properties/Settings.
    In the thumnails window --> Options --> Set thumbnails options you an modify the thumbnails size

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
      That's what I was going to suggest. In the same menu there's also 'JPG Lossless OPerations', but I have no experience using that.
      They work fine in the Thumbnails window. Just highlight all the files you want to rotate and from the File menu select 'JPG lossless operations >Lossless rotation with selected files'
      Then choose either 'Rotate 90 degrees' to rotate right or 'Rotate 270 degrees' to rotate left. That's it - all the rotated images are resaved automatically keeping their original names.

Comment

The only thing about lossless rotation that has always irritated me is the option 'perfect transformation only ...', or perhaps I should say its wording. So far it has prevented me from using lossless rotation.

I know the background of it, i.e. small segments of the image that remain when the image has been segmented into the square 'jpg processing units'.

How should I set the options so that no part of the image is cut off?

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_lossless.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	81697
        Last edited by jazzman; 15.06.2017, 07:20 PM. Reason: added screenshot

Comment

You can set larger thumbnails in Thumbnail options.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

My opinion is, that an unnecessary recompression of jpeg images with wrong or missing exif:Orientation tag can not be a good solution. The lossless rotation is a more reasonable approach, but most likely still unnecessary. Writing the correct orientation tag should be enough in most cases.

If it can't be done with IrfanView, other tools are offering this kind of rotation, there is an option for this in many image viewers. If I needed this, I would use the simple ExifToolGUI, though, just because I'm having it set as one of the external editors.
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

All the digital cameras I have owned took images with sides that were exact multiples of 16 pixels so the jpeg lossless rotation worked fine without losing any pixels off the edges and without needing the "perfect transformation" option . I agree with you that the "perfect" option is far from perfect since it shows an error message when you try to rotate certain combinations of dimensions, 1593x1202 for example.

Comment

Thanks Mij, good to know.

I very rarely need an image rotation anyway, only once in a while with images taken at unusal angles.

Comment

Working...
                X