This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directory tree in Windows 10

With the latest Windows 10 update (build 1703), the directory tree that sits on the left of the thumbnail view window doesn't automatically expand to select the current directory (the one displayed in the status line just above, and the one that the thumbnailed images themselves are selected from); previously, it did.

So when looking at an image in the main Irfanview window, and hitting 'T' to bring up the thumbnail view, thumbnails of the current image's directory are shown, and the correct directory is shown in the status line, but the directory tree only shows the top-level drive listing, with nothing selected.

This makes things awkward when navigating to nearby directories because first the directory tree has to be manually expanded - one level at at time - to locate the current directory (making sure to click precisely on the [+]: clicking on the directory itself of course navigates to that directory).

In fact, not only does the tree not expand to highlight the current directory, but it also collapses if another image is loaded in the main Irfanview window.

I don't think I changed any of Irfanview's settings at the same time, and I couldn't find any such setting among the thumbnail or general options, but maybe that's what happened. Otherwise, as I say, this change in behaviour started at about the same time as the latest major update to Windows 10, so maybe something in the API changed there.

No such problem here. Which version of Irfan View are you using? Please fill in your forum profile.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      No such problem here. Which version of Irfan View are you using?
      4.42 (64bit); I've upgraded to 4.44 on the off-chance, but no change. I also had the 32-bit version of 4.42 installed, now removed, and it did the same thing. The standard suite of plugins is also installed.

Comment

I have the same exact problem. The tree never expand to the current directory. Doesn't matter how I open IrfanView Thumbnails (T or context menu). Will this ever be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPL View Post
          Will this ever be fixed?
          Not unless someone can convince the program's author that it is broken.

How are you opening image files? Are they correctly associated with IrfanView? If so, double-click will open them, and T should open thumbnails with the correct folder focused as it does for me.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            Not unless someone can convince the program's author that it is broken.

How are you opening image files? Are they correctly associated with IrfanView? If so, double-click will open them, and T should open thumbnails with the correct folder focused as it does for me.
            Like anyone would, from the explorer. Yes

I did some test and it seem like it is working for my C and D drive. As for my other 5TB drive (B, it doesn't work. This drive as the same permissions as the others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	V7msA6d.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	83561

Name:	sjTuY1O.png
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	83563

For some reason, in the IrfanView Thumbnails tree, the drive is considered as "Floppy". There also a backslash : B:\

Name:	litcMYn.png
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	83562

Oh and I'm on the Win10, latest IrfanView
            Last edited by UnderPL; 09.01.2021, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Ok I found a temporary fix. Seem like the A and B drive was reserved for floppy disks back in the days (https://www.howtogeek.com/122891/wha...ives-used-for/).

The tree work correctly if I assign another letter (like Z:\) but it would still be nice to see this fixed. I already have program installed on my drive and changing the letter will stop making them work.

Comment

The operating system did not assign letter B to your disk, you did this manually (but you shouldn't). There is nothing to be fixed, I wouldn't report this as a "problem".
                IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                X