Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Support for HEIF, HEVC

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Since I had another reason to contact Irfan Skiljan, I asked him about it. He confirmed this:

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan Skiljan
    HEIF uses patented stuff ... people do not think about that => maybe later

Angry HEIC support now that there is open source libraries for it

I do not understand why Irfanview rejected the request for HEIC support. I am unable to find any documentation that says HEIC has patents that would prevent you from implementing support for it. I have found an open source library on GitHub so i really do not understand why Irfanview is not adding support for this new format. Do you guys want to be left behind? I for one am not going to stick around with software that fails to add support for new formats. HEIC has been added to Apple's OS's, Windows 10, digital cameras and many other places and there are free libraries under the GNU license that you guys could be using. I think i will be moving on from Irfanview because it's incredibly sad that it fails to support something Microsoft supports out of the box

https://github.com/strukturag/libheif

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by mylastsong18 View Post
    I do not understand why Irfanview rejected the request for HEIC support.
    The request was forwarded to Irfan Skiljan and he replied on 26th March 2018. He did at least say, "maybe later." I marked the thread as rejected because he did not say that he is working on it.

He does regularly add support for new formats. The ball is now in his court. If he thinks it is worth doing, and if it can be done without infringing patents, then he may add it.

We are only users here. Don't nag us. We do not develop the program. You will find outstanding feature requests that are ten years old or more. There is only one developer, and it is his call what gets done and what does not get done.

BPG Format was also not implemented due to patent issues.

How the Feature Request Forum Works
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.05.2018 at 07:53 AM.

Thread Information