This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented Support for HEIF, HEVC

The HEVC group has released software http://x265.org/hevc-advance-announc...hevc-software/ for support of this format. It would be wonderful to have this supported in IrfanView. It has been adopted at the fixed and moving image formats for Apple iOS 11.0. HEIF is fixed format while HEVC is the video version. They both use H.265 encoding.

Dale

I am not sure why you posted this in Plugins and Add-ons.

What would be the benefit of this?

The latest version of IrfanView is now 4.44. If you're still using 4.30 you might want to upgrade. If you upgraded already, please update your forum profile.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      I am not sure why you posted this in Plugins and Add-ons.

What would be the benefit of this?

The latest version of IrfanView is now 4.44. If you're still using 4.30 you might want to upgrade. If you upgraded already, please update your forum profile.
      Ummmmmmmm....how about saving over 50% disk space through a Jpg2HEIF CONVERSION?

Ever Figured Out How Many JPEG‘s you Have Stored oh User-of-hard-drives-of-infinite-space?

Chas
      Irfanview User since it’s rollout...1996
      Last edited by hesynergy; 03.07.2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hesynergy View Post
        How about saving over 50% disk space
        I have 681 Mbytes of JPG images on my hard drive. I have 251 Gbytes of free hard drive space, so that is a non issue.

More important would be the savings that my web sites could achieve by having smaller images provided they are of the same quality and don't take ages to decompress like wavelet compressed JPEG2000 files.

I currently use WebP for large images, which saves about 50% over JPG. Most of my images are PNG, but any JPG images are too small for band-width savings to be significant. A typical image on my site is 51Kbytes. Not enough scope to save bandwidth there to justify compressing files a bit.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.07.2017, 09:11 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I refer you to my previous post's link, http://x265.org/hevc-advance-announc...hevc-software/ for added benefits...Profile filled out before requested.

Regards,
          Chas

Comment

Originally posted by hesynergy View Post
            I refer you to my previous post's link
            If you're trying to sell something, and don't know how to explain why I might need it in simple terms. I don't find your "sales talk" the least bit convincing. I should not have to read and understand a technical document to learn about the Pros and Cons of this software.

The need for BPG Support was presented a lot better, but it ran into licensing issues, so never got implemented. You're better off talking to Irfan Skiljan, who might understand the topic.

Comment

Hi! Now that HEIC has become the default picture format in Apple iOS 11, we're going to see a lot more of these files floating around. Perhaps others will tag along as well to eventually (in 40 years or so) drop JPEG. Point being, it would be nice to be able to view them inside IrfanView and not with some additional picture viewer just for these files. Any plans for HEIC support?
              !ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Comment

Originally posted by Laban View Post
                Hi! Now that HEIC has become the default picture format in Apple iOS 11, ...
                Just an FYI, only newer iPhones and higher end iPads support HEIC. I believe the device has to have an A9 or later processor. I have a new iPad 4 mini (A8 processor) which does not.

I suspect that we'll see more use of it as the HEVC guys like their stuff used ... isn't H.265 one of theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by gbynum View Post
                  isn't H.265 one of theirs?
                  Yes I think it's closely related to H.265, but that's as far as I can say.
                  !ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Comment

Seems obvious that irfanview would need to support emerging image standards once they are official.
                    I don't really see a need to quibble over what the image is used for or who uses them as long as it's a standard that is used 'in the field' so to speak.
                    And Xnview added HEIF support recently BTW, so you also want to keep ahead in the game
                    Last edited by Dabble; 03.03.2018, 09:16 PM. Reason: fixed double word

Comment

Like it or not, HEIC will be a major player with images. Apple sell 210-240 million iPhones per year.

Given it will be the image standard once everyone updates to the latest iOS & iPhone, it is crazy to dismiss this format.

Please add support.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaldo View Post
                        Like it or not, HEIC will be a major player with images. Apple sell 210-240 million iPhones per year.
                        The format is not supported by Windows 10 yet. Since IrfanView only runs on Windows, it is hard to see one good reason to support this request.

Please see the Sticky Thread in this Feature Request forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                          The format is not supported by Windows 10 yet. Since IrfanView only runs on Windows, it is hard to see one good reason to support this request.
                          Isn't the lack of Windows support the perfect reason for Irfanview to add it? If added now, it could increase the user base / "market share" quite a lot if word gets around of this image viewer that can handle the new Apple format...
                          !ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Comment

Not unlike BPG, this format has patent-related issues.
                            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

I would honestly ask Irfan Skiljan to take this feature request seriously.
                              I'm afraid that -- since it is Apple's new format -- partisan politics will influence any discussion about the pros and cons of adding support. Very soon there will be millions of these files around, however, and I think that the reasons to support this are self-evident.

As other newbies have pointed out, Apples iPhones are a major player, and I might add, that most iPhone users are Windows users when it comes to their desktop PCs. And while iCloud for Windows automatically creates a jpg-copy of HEIF/HEIC-files, it also supports the option to keep the HEIC-original. In my opinion, it is always preferable to keep the original file format, especially when the alternative is to recompress a lossy file over again.
                              Read-support would suffice, there is no need for conversion to HEIC at the moment, though ImageMagick is currently working to support just that (https://github.com/ImageMagick/ImageMagick/issues/507).

If this does not get implemented, your users will simply turn to an alternative. I for one would be very sad if I had to change my workflow away from IrfanView, which I've been using for decades. But the format will always be more important than the tool. I can change the latter, but I will not sacrifice quality just to avoid relearning some moves.

Comment

Working...
                              X