Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone ask Irfan Skiljan yet? If you let us know his response, I will update the thread's status.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
      Not unlike BPG, this format has patent-related issues.
      Since I had another reason to contact Irfan Skiljan, I asked him about it. He confirmed this:

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
      HEIF uses patented stuff ... people do not think about that => maybe later
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

By the way, the subscription-based Zoner Photo Studio claims to be "the first Windows photo editor to support HEIF files" . On the other hand, the next version of XnView will not include this because "currently patents are not clear".
        IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Since I had another reason to contact Irfan Skiljan, I asked him about it. He confirmed this:
          Allright then:
          HEIF get's official support from Microsoft

Comment

Rejected Support for HEIF, HEVC

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
            The format is not supported by Windows 10 yet. Since IrfanView only runs on Windows, it is hard to see one good reason to support this request.

Please see the Sticky Thread in this Feature Request forum.
            Irfan view opens & converts Googles:

A new image format for the Web

WebP is a modern image format that provides superior lossless and lossycompression for images on the web. Using WebP, webmasters and web developers can create smaller, richer images that make the web faster.
            WebP lossless images are 26% smaller in size compared to PNGs. WebP lossy images are 25-34% smaller than comparable JPEG images at equivalent SSIM quality index.
            Lossless WebP supports transparency (also known as alpha channel) at a cost of just 22% additional bytes. For cases when lossy RGB compression is acceptable, lossy WebP also supports transparency, typically providing 3× smaller file sizes compared to PNG.

<https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/>

Comment

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
              HEIF uses patented stuff ... people do not think about that => maybe later

Comment

HEIC support now that there is open source libraries for it

I do not understand why Irfanview rejected the request for HEIC support. I am unable to find any documentation that says HEIC has patents that would prevent you from implementing support for it. I have found an open source library on GitHub so i really do not understand why Irfanview is not adding support for this new format. Do you guys want to be left behind? I for one am not going to stick around with software that fails to add support for new formats. HEIC has been added to Apple's OS's, Windows 10, digital cameras and many other places and there are free libraries under the GNU license that you guys could be using. I think i will be moving on from Irfanview because it's incredibly sad that it fails to support something Microsoft supports out of the box

Comment

Originally posted by mylastsong18 View Post
                  I do not understand why Irfanview rejected the request for HEIC support.
                  The request was forwarded to Irfan Skiljan and he replied on 26th March 2018. He did at least say, "maybe later." I marked the thread as rejected because he did not say that he is working on it.

He does regularly add support for new formats. The ball is now in his court. If he thinks it is worth doing, and if it can be done without infringing patents, then he may add it.

We are only users here. Don't nag us. We do not develop the program. You will find outstanding feature requests that are ten years old or more. There is only one developer, and it is his call what gets done and what does not get done.

BPG Format was also not implemented due to patent issues.

How the Feature Request Forum Works
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.05.2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X