Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DNG files - no thumbnails in browse mode and can't go to next/prev from view mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DNG files - no thumbnails in browse mode and can't go to next/prev from view mode

First of all, thank you, Jajce for writing such a great piece of software. Such simplicity of use is rare, even in today's world of "modern" software. And yet, I also realize you have done a TON of work to make this go. Surely, you deserve some kind of people's choice award!

I am a long-time user of Irfanview and just installed on a new Windows 10 (64-bit) machine. I am running version 4.44 - 64-bit with the standard 64-bit plug-ins installed.

From Windows File Explorer, I can see all DNG thumbnails. But from the Irfanview file browser, I see no thumbnails. FWIW, it's a local drive, not a network drive.

More significantly, even though I can open a DNG with Irfanview (i.e., double-click from Windows File Explorer), I cannot navigate to the next or previous file in the directory. Instead, I get that sound that indicates I have reached the last/first file in the folder. This is because I have selected "Loop current folder" from the Browsing/Editing options. If I select "Show Browse dialog", that gets displayed.

All of this works fine on my old Windows 7 (64-bit) machine. But now I realize that I'm running Irfanview 4.42 32-bit. So I will try downgrading later if I don't hear any other suggestions.

If there's anything else I can do to get more information on the problem, please let me know.

Thank you for your consideration.

I have no problem seeing thumbnails for DNG files, whether using 32-bit or 64-bit versions.

Make sure that you installed all plugins, and look in Settings, Extensions to include RAW files in the custom file types to open while browsing if they are not associated with IrfanView.

It is best to edit RAW files in another program. IrfanView, by default, will load a low resolution preview image, and even if you set it to load the full image, it will convert it to 8-bits per pixel on loading.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'm sorry, I have confirmed the problem here too quickly, without testing everything properly (using, by accident, also non-standard DNG images, that are meant to open only in specialized software).

But installing the latest version of Adobe DNG converter (9.10) seemingly did solve one problem for me, if it was really a problem.

I apologize again for a too quick answer (now deleted).
      Last edited by Jacal; 01.07.2017, 05:14 PM.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Working...
      X