Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[4.44] Thumbnails: Hovering mouse > show bigger picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[4.44] Thumbnails: Hovering mouse > show bigger picture?

Hello,

I'm running IrfanView 4.44. The cheap camera I'm currently using doesn't detect if I'm taking a picture by holding it vertically, ie. all pictures have Orientation set to "Top Left" in EXIF.

As a result, in Thumbnails, it's a bit of a pain to 1) find all such pictures, 2) select them all through CTRL, and 3) batch-apply a 90° orientation.

To make it a bit easier, I was wondering if Thumbnails could magnify each picture a bit when hovering the mouse over it, so I wouldn't have to double-click to see what the picture looks like. Currently, Thumbnails only shows data.

Thank you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 31.07.2017, 02:37 PM.

You can change the size of the thumbnails in Thumbnail Options.

You can also sort the Thumbnails by Portrait/Landscape.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks but I found no obvious way through Options > Set thumbnail options to display an enlarged picture when hovering the mouse. How can I do this?

As for portrait/landscape: This doesn't seem to work, since like I said, all the pictures have their EXIF Orientation set to "Top Left" regardless of how I held the camera when shooting. How can I do this?

Thank you.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.07.2017, 06:05 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

The thumbnail sizes are set in the Thumbnail Options on the Options menu. There is no need to mouseover to see larger thumbnails — all will be larger.

Portrait/Landscape sorting is also on the Options menu. It does not need Exif data. It sorts by the image's aspect ratio.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          The thumbnail sizes are set in the Thumbnail Options on the Options menu. There is no need to mouseover to see larger thumbnails — all will be larger.
          Thanks, but I'd rather have this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Irfan_View.Thumbnails.mouse.hover.enlarge.picture.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	81709

Apparently, Thumbnails can't do this.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Portrait/Landscape sorting is also on the Options menu. It does not need Exif data. It sorts by the image's aspect ratio.
          It doesn't work, since all pictures have the same aspect ratio.

Looks like I'm stuck having to browse hundred's of pictures manually… or get a more expensive camera.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherlogin View Post
            It doesn't work, since all pictures have the same aspect ratio.

Looks like I'm stuck having to browse hundred's of pictures manually… or get a more expensive camera.
            Yes, you are right about that. Most cameras these days use a gravity sensing accelerometer to determine which way up the camera is being held when the picture was taken and record it in the Exif data as the orientation tag. Without that data all images are displayed in a landscape format and have the same aspect ratio.
            So, unless you are prepared to pay for advanced image analysis software, you will have to sort them manually.

There are a number of ways of browsing through the images both inside and outside of Irfanview but you need to consider first how you to record the ones that need to be rotated as you spot them. In Irfanview you can tag files using shortcut key X, or list them using function key F4, from either the browser or thumbnails window.
            You can only tag the files in one folder at a time. When done, shortcut key Shift+Q will display just the tagged files in Thumbnails.

F4 builds up your list in the Slideshow dialog window. You can have multiple folders from multiple sessions, save them all as one big text file and later open everything on the list in Thumbnails (Options> Load file list from TXT file) to do a bulk lossless rotate. Or you can open Batch conversion/rename in the Browser, load the text file in the dialog there and do all manner of operations on them.
            Last edited by Mij; 10.07.2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. It's another way of solving the problem… until I get a better camera, with an accelerometer.

For others' benefit:
              1. In IrfanView main application, browse through the pictures, marking/tagging relevant pictures with X (SHIFT+X to unmark)
              2. SHIFT+Q to open Thumbnails and display only the pictures that were previously marked
              3. Select them all with CTRL+A
              4. File > Start batch dialog with selected files > Advanced > check Rotate Right
              5. Once done, still in Thumbnails, hit F5 to refresh the page and see all the pictures in the folder.

"How can I tag a file during browsing?"
              Last edited by yetanotherlogin; 31.07.2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X