Copy / Drag Selected Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy / Drag Selected Area

I'd like the ability to copy/ paste *without * attempting to redraw that same size of what I am copying ..

I would like to just select, then 'grab' and reposition (drag?) the area I selected, and 'drop' it where I want at its original dimensions.

I have yet to find any image editing program capable of doing such..
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.07.2017, 04:30 AM.

I am not sure what you're saying here, but you can already reposition the selected area with the right mouse button without redrawing it. You can use the shift key while dragging to constrain the vertical position, and ctrl to constrain the horizontal position. The cursor keys can be used for precise pixel-by-pixel movement.

If you want to paste the copied area to multiple places, just create a custom selection (Shift C), and use that.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think I know what you are asking for and it is a bit more than what Bhikkhu Pesala is telling you about.
      First though, if you really are using Irfanview V4.35 you need to update to the latest version because this feature came in (I think) with v4.41

I assume you know about drawing a selection and copying it to the clipboard either from the menu/toolbar or with shortcut key Ctrl+C.
      With the new feature you now do not need to keep the selection box on the screen, just move the cursor to wherever you want to paste, hold down Ctrl and Shift keys and left click the mouse. The selection box is redrawn automatically with the spot you clicked at its top left corner. You can right click inside the selection and drag it to a new position or, if you prefer, you can try Ctrl+Shift+left click again as many times as you like to reposition the selection to where you want it.

When you have the selection box in the right place Paste or Ctrl+V will put the contents from the clipboard back into it.

PS. You do not even need to paste it back into the same image. You can move to another image or even open another copy of Irfanview and paste it there.
      Last edited by Mij; 26.07.2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X