Batch conversion settings for grayscale are not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Batch conversion settings for grayscale are not working

After successfully processing thousands of old images and drawings to grayscale with the batch converter, it stopped working some time ago. The original images are in .JP2 format being converted to .PNG or .JPG.

Because they are from the 19th and early 20th century as such, they are all black and white. Now the images are saved as 16 million colors, even though the grayscale setting is selected. What should be the proper settings of the Advanced options, to get 256 colors successfully? Help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 10.08.2017, 07:34 AM.
    Irfanview 4.54, Win 10 Pro 64bit 16gb RAM, Intel UHD graphics

Change the colour depth to 256.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Change Colour Depth.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	81721
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Change the colour depth to 256.
      My settings were/are exactly as in your picture. Re-processed five images but nothing changed and remained 16 million colors. Ctrl-G on individual images works most of the time, and when it doesn't, then I must repeat it again.

Comment

It works for me. Please check and try again. Maybe you're adding a text overlay or doing something else different to me.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You should not need to tick "Change color depth" or anything in its group if you have "Convert to grayscale" ticked.
          There are some options in Irfanview though that might automatically convert an image back to 16 million colors. Is anything else ticked in the dialog other than "Convert to grayscale"?

Comment

Batch conversion settings for grayscale are not working

I also tried by unchecking the color depth but it does make no difference, unless I missed something. Attached is the setup for advanced. Now, I will try again bu re-installing the software.
            Attached Files

Comment

Solved. Uninstalled and did a fresh install. Mij, you are correct, grayscale setting alone is sufficient to convert. Thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

Working...
              X