No announcement yet.

Irfanview Fullscreen bug version 4.44 & 4.37 with windows update KB4034664

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug Irfanview Fullscreen bug version 4.44 & 4.37 with windows update KB4034664

I'd like to report a bug, I have encountered with the 32-bit version 4.37 and the 64-bit version 4.44. It was encountered directly after installing Windows update KB4034664, and solved immediately after de-installing said update.

Computer data:
    64 bits, i3 core, 16gb ram
    Video Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

The Bug:
    Going fullscreen on my 2nd monitor causes the images to lag. Meaning if I go to the next image the old image remains on screen. In the case of a slide show, the screen remains black, but images are recovered after dragging an alternate window across it, and in its trail the original image temporarily returns but never fully.

As mentioned above it occurs due to the windows update. Problem is that this is a security update, and it re-installs itself every time I re-boot. Meaning it is difficult to keep it off. I doubt that I am the only one with this issue.

Additional information:
    I can confirm that the problem is really caused by KB4034664, and only affects my 2nd monitor. It also affects browsing of non-fullscreen images, but only on that screen. I am looking for the cause.
    It does NOT happen with other photo browsing applications alike Windows Photo Viewer.
    Perhaps unrelated, after Re-installing the Windows update, it keeps saying that my i_view64.ini file is read only (even though it is not, nor re-directing to another file).
    Last edited by Domus_ulixes; 10.08.2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: updating information 2

Windows update KB4034664 also affects me on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Bug started after the update and went away when the update was removed. I tried 32 bit versions 4.38 and 4.44.

Tests were done with a 640x480 size image (on a larger screen). If irfanview opens by default on the second monitor, then no image is shown, only the background color. If the program is minimized from the second monitor, and then restored, the space for the image shows the screen contents that were there previously. If the program is moved to the first screen, the "background" moves with the image area within irfanview. A minimize and restore on the first screen brings back the image.

On the second screen, if you shrink the window size of irfanview, then when the window reaches the size that the image will fill the window vertically, then the image is restored. If you change focus to another program, and then change back to irfanview, parts of the image that were hidden by the other program are now replaced by the contents of the other program.

On the second screen, zooming with the + and - keys does not zoom the image, although when the image is made smaller, the size for viewing the image is made smaller by clipping the contents of the image area; the background color fills in the area freed up by the clipping. Irfanview is the only program that I have discovered that is affected, and it only malfunctions on the second screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Domus_ulixes View Post
      I'd like to report a bug, I have encountered with the 32-bit version 4.37 and the 64-bit version 4.44.
      Please update your forum profile.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Confirm 2nd monitor issue

I am having this same issue. This post was helpful in my understanding more about what is going on with this problem, in that it only occurs when displaying an image on the 2nd monitor, which I almost always do. This also explains why IrfanView would work for a short time after I reinstalled it, because the image was opening in the primary display until I once moved it.

My display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 3000, different that the poster, and is up to date. System info: Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 GHz i5 processor, running on a
        Thinkpad T420. I use the 32-bit IrfanView (4.44) because of plugin incompatibility with the 64-bit version.

At least now I have a solution to keep working until a fix is available.

Originally posted by Harvard View Post
        Windows update KB4034664 also affects me on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Bug started after the update and went away when the update was removed. I tried 32 bit versions 4.38 and 4.44.

Tests were done with a 640x480 size image (on a larger screen). If irfanview opens by default on the second monitor, then no image is shown, only the background color. If the program is minimized from the second monitor, and then restored, the space for the image shows the screen contents that were there previously. If the program is moved to the first screen, the "background" moves with the image area within irfanview. A minimize and restore on the first screen brings back the image.

On the second screen, if you shrink the window size of irfanview, then when the window reaches the size that the image will fill the window vertically, then the image is restored. If you change focus to another program, and then change back to irfanview, parts of the image that were hidden by the other program are now replaced by the contents of the other program.

On the second screen, zooming with the + and - keys does not zoom the image, although when the image is made smaller, the size for viewing the image is made smaller by clipping the contents of the image area; the background color fills in the area freed up by the clipping. Irfanview is the only program that I have discovered that is affected, and it only malfunctions on the second screen.

Comment

More Information and a Workaround

This is effecting more than IrfanView, see this post for additional information and workaround: http://borncity.com/win/2017/08/12/w...on-2nd-screen/

Originally posted by billjames310 View Post
          I am having this same issue. This post was helpful in my understanding more about what is going on with this problem, in that it only occurs when displaying an image on the 2nd monitor, which I almost always do. This also explains why IrfanView would work for a short time after I reinstalled it, because the image was opening in the primary display until I once moved it.

My display adapter is Intel HD Graphics 3000, different that the poster, and is up to date. System info: Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM, 2.5 GHz i5 processor, running on a
          Thinkpad T420. I use the 32-bit IrfanView (4.44) because of plugin incompatibility with the 64-bit version.

At least now I have a solution to keep working until a fix is available.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan says that this is not a bug in IrfanView. It certainly looks like a bug caused by the Windows patch, and may be fixed in later patches.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hello All,

Thank you all for your help.

For New visitors: this is a confirmed bug of Windows patches. As can be read here:
              Two German sites report graphics problems in some applications when using multiple monitors. Solution: Uninstall the bad patches.

Main solutions exist from:
              Upgrading Windows,
              Uninstalling patch (and preventing it from auto-install)
              Change 2nd screen's relative position so that it does not have negative coordinates.

Hope this helps. I think this thread can be closed.

Comment

Problem SOLVED by the last Windows Update (15 sep 2017)

Problem SOLVED by the last Windows Update (15 sep 2017)
                This page and its wisely selected sub-links greatly helped me (whence my urge to give feedback) yet was unsufficient in my particular case (W7Pro) due to my using Windows Classic Theme. So yesterday night (Fri 15 sep) I did Windows Update, which cured the problem fully and, apparently, reliably. Details in further post.
                Versailles, Sat 16 Sep 2017 18:23:10 +0200
                Last edited by Michel Merlin; 16.09.2017, 05:24 PM. Reason: Link in Title

Comment

Sorry, my attempt to Preview my announced "further post" was rejected by Chrome 61 with:
                  This page isn’t working

Chrome detected unusual code on this page and blocked it to protect your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards).

Try visiting the site's homepage.

ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR

Now it just added details to the above, so don't mind. Sorry.
                  Versailles, Sat 16 Sep 2017 19:00:40 +0200, edited (trying to fix the formatting) 19:09:10
                  Last edited by Michel Merlin; 16.09.2017, 06:09 PM. Reason: fixing formatting

Comment

Working...
                  X