Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouse wheel scrolls to next picture, despite preferences checkbox being unchecked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse wheel scrolls to next picture, despite preferences checkbox being unchecked

There's an option in Preferences>Browsing/Editing that says "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (if vertical scrollbar is visible)". I've unchecked that option. Yet I constantly get Irfanview trying to jump to a new image.

My mouse wheel is rather touchy, and I do a lot of complex editing on my images - so when I'm in the middle of an edit and suddenly I'm on a new image, it's really annoying! I have set it to ask me if there's unsaved changes, but sometimes it jumps anyway.

Does that option only apply if I've zoomed enough to get a scroll bar? That's rather a pain. I don't want Irfanview to jump on the mouse wheel at all (if I want to go to another image, I'll click the arrows at the top).

So either there's a bug that unchecking the option doesn't keep IV from jumping to a new image; or this is actually a feature request, and the bug is that the option needs to be expressed more clearly.

This is how it is supposed to work.

As it says, the option, if enabled, will jump to the next image (even if) the scrollbar is visible. If the option is disabled, the mousewheel will scroll in large images.

If you enable the warn to save changes options you will never lose any changes. If it moves to the next image without any warning, then you have already saved your changes, or have not made any. Merely marking a selection does not change the image.

IrfanView, as the name suggests, is an image viewer, not an image editor, so its primary purpose is to view images.

You can disable the browsing of directories if you want to focus on editing images, and then use the Thumbnail view (shortcut t) to select other images for editing.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      If you enable the warn to save changes options you will never lose any changes.
      ... unless you've opened the image from the thumbnail view.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
        ... unless you've opened the image from the thumbnail view.
        That's not the case here. If I open an image from the thumbnail view in IrfanView, and modify it, I get a warning on scrolling to the next image.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, sorry, it is a slightly different constellation:

(1) edit an image (no matter whether it has been opened through thumbs or otherwise)
          (2) go to thumbnail window (shortcut T or click on the thumbs window if already open)
          (3) double click on any thumb
          ==> your edits are lost

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcgaffey View Post
            There's an option in Preferences>Browsing/Editing that says "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (if vertical scrollbar is visible)". I've unchecked that option. Yet I constantly get Irfanview trying to jump to a new image.
            That option is very confusing. "Jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (if vertical scrollbar is visible)" means what it says when the option is checked but when unchecked it does not mean "Do not jump to next image.....". It would be clearer if it said "Always jump to next image if Page keys or Mouse wheel used (even if vertical scrollbar is visible).
            I discussed this with Irfan Skiljan last year. He told me that this option when checked is "just for some (special) users, not for everyone" and that is why unchecked is the default state that he expects most people to use. He says that he cannot change what is already in use. To quote from a previous email "there are (millions of) users with non-US PC keyboard layouts ... there are notebooks, they have limited/compact keyboard layouts (+ different countries/layouts) ... there are special devices/beamer and remote/beamer/etc controls with few keys and these keys have just few pre-defined functions."

However, as you have probably already discovered, that default unchecked option is very complicated and the actions depend not on just whether the vertical scrollbar is visible but the horizontal one too. I made a table of what it does and have attached it below. It applies to both normal and fullscreen view even though in fullscreen you cannot see the scrollbars, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jump_to options.png
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	81738
            Click on image to enlarge

Comment

Working...
            X