Fit only big images to window width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Fit only big images to window width

Hi, I've been using IrfanView for a few months now and love it, but this idea recently popped into my head and so I just made an account to ask if this is at all doable.

I think a new option under View > Display options (window mode) to "Fit only big images to window width" would be great, because it would combine the ability to have large images fill your entire screen without getting too lost in them while at the same time not stretching out smaller images like the current "Fit images to window width" does. What do you all think?

It's been a while without any replies, so I've gotten worried that I wasn't being clear haha. The attached image should explain better what I'm talking about

Click image for larger version

Name:	fit-only-big-images-to-window-width.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	82993

Comment

It looks like no one needs this. For me, there's already way too many options. I only ever use the "F" shortcut to switch views.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree that there looks to be a lot of superfluous options in the Display options (window mode) menu, but I feel like the ability to have large images fill your desktop while keeping small images from doing so to avoid ugly pixelation, all in one option, would be a big win for convenience sake. The F shortcut is alright, but it isn't useful for casually browsing large images because it either constrains the image with unsightly black bars or maximizes them past the size of the window.

As for community support, a bit of Google digging did find some other users requesting the same:

https://irfanview-forum.de/archive/i...hp/t-9632.html (this person brings up the same issue but proposes a different solution)

Comment

It is very useful when viewing images with random heights.

For display options, I think we can take HoneyView as an example. It has 1 checkbox and 3 options:

[ ] Up scale small images
          --------------------
          [ ] Original size
          [ ] Fit to window width
          [ ] Fit to window

We can have a similar menu:

[ ] Only downscale big images
          ----------------------------------
          [ ] No fit
          [ ] Fit images to window
          [ ] Fit images to window height
          [ ] Fit images to window width
          [ ] Fit images to desktop
          [ ] Fit images to desktop height
          [ ] Fit images to desktop width

Another question: what is the different between "fit to window" and "fit to desktop"?

Comment

Fit to desktop makes the IrfanView as large as possible to fit the desktop (height for portrait images, or width for landscape images). Fit to window will fit images to the current IrfanView window size.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
            X