Fit-to-screen doesn't work on secondary monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Fit-to-screen doesn't work on secondary monitor

With IrfanView 4.44 x64, the full screen fit-to-screen options don't work on my secondary monitor (TV). The image is too large to be fully displayed. The options work on the primary monitor, so maybe IrfanView is getting the size from that monitor regardless of where it is displayed. The full screen fit-to-screen options worked correctly on my secondary monitor in version 4.36 x86.

I have the same problem with the Windows Store app v.4.44 x64. On my secondary monitor (1920x1080 via HDMI), in Windows Display Settings, it is set to "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" by 150%. This version of IrfanView seems to be ignoring that setting. If I change that to 100%, IrfanView displays correctly. However, that is not a tenable situation, because it makes everything else too small to read.

Everything works fine using the desktop app v.4.41 x64, even with the Windows Display Settings at 150%.

Comment

It seems to be working fine for me on IrfanView 4.50.

Please upgrade and check again. Reporting bugs for old versions is pointless.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        It seems to be working fine for me on IrfanView 4.50.

Please upgrade and check again. Reporting bugs for old versions is pointless.
        Thanks for that, but according to the Microsoft Store (because I have the Windows App), version 4.44 is the latest version, and that's what I have. I made my post within minutes of installing the App directly from the Store, which I accessed directly from the IrfanView homepage. And I just double-checked the Store for updates, and it still shows 4.44 as the latest version.

So if version 4.50 is the latest version, then the version in the Microsoft Store needs to be updated to version 4.50, which will then automatically update my installed version.

I've also discovered another problem with the fit-to-screen on my second monitor, but I will hold out until the Store App gets updated and see if that problem was also fixed in 4.50.

Comment

Install 4.50 from the home page and the latest test version from my Help Page if you're affected by the Zoom Box Bug.

There are other problems with the App Store version.

Irfan Skiljan has sent them the latest version, so blame Microsoft for not getting their act together yet.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.11.2017, 08:02 AM.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Irfan Skiljan has sent them the latest version, so blame Microsoft for not getting their act together yet.
            Oh, believe me, I do blame Microsoft - on a very regular basis - for not having their act together.

The main reason I installed the App Store version at all is because Windows 10 keeps messing with my file associations - especially for .JPG files - and I was hoping that by using a Store App instead of an "unapproved" (Microsoft's words, not mine) desktop program, they would leave things alone at last. Nevermind that IrfanView has been around for over 20 years (and I've been using it since Day One), and has proven much more reliable than Windows ever will be.

Comment

Install 4.50 from the home page and the latest test version from my Help Page if you're affected by the Zoom Box Bug.
              Okay, I uninstalled the Store App, and then I installed desktop version 4.50 from the home page, and I still have the same issues that I was having with version 4.44 from the App Store. I did not have these problems with desktop version 4.41. So no, the problem is not fixed.

As I mentioned above, my second monitor is 1920x1080 and is set at 150% magnification in Windows Display Settings. This is the Windows default setting when I connected this monitor.

Here is an image in normal window mode. Note that because of Windows' 150% magnification, the 750x269 image is displayed as 1125x404.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-11-21 (1).png
Views:	1
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	82965

Now here is the same image in Fit-to-Screen fullscreen mode using version 4.50. The program ignores the Windows Display Settings and zooms the image at 256% (from 750 up to 1920 width), resulting in the image being larger than the screen, instead of fitting to it.

Name:	2017-11-21 (2).png
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	82966

Now here is the same image in Fit-to-Screen fullscreen mode using version 4.41. This version correctly compensates for the Windows Display Settings, and only zooms the image to 171%, which fills the screen correctly.

Name:	2017-11-21 (3).png
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	82967

Lastly, here is an example of the other issue with version 4.44 and now also version 4.50 that I alluded to above. When in fullscreen mode, the program leaves "orphans" of other images to the right and below the current image.

Name:	2017-11-21.png
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	82968

Comment

This response by HighLander is from another recent bug report:

Fast response from the author. Problem solved!

Solution not obvious but works:
                1) New small laptops with high resolution have factory settings of Windows to upscale DPI (150%) to make the fonts visible.
                2) Unless it is changed to 100%, it generates the issue described above
                3) To keep upscaling > 100%, and locally fix the issue, you need to:
                - find the "i_view32.exe" file (usually in "c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView")
                - show "Properties" of this file
                - select Tab "Compatibility"
                - enable the option: "Override DPI scaling" = "use Application"

Comment

This response by HighLander is from another recent bug report:

Fast response from the author. Problem solved!

Solution not obvious but works:
                  1) New small laptops with high resolution have factory settings of Windows to upscale DPI (150%) to make the fonts visible.
                  2) Unless it is changed to 100%, it generates the issue described above
                  3) To keep upscaling > 100%, and locally fix the issue, you need to:
                  - find the "i_view32.exe" file (usually in "c:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView")
                  - show "Properties" of this file
                  - select Tab "Compatibility"
                  - enable the option: "Override DPI scaling" = "use Application"
                  That's just a workaround for the scaling issue. It doesn't actually fix whatever got changed between version 4.41 and 4.44. And it doesn't address the orphaned fragments of images that are left on the screen (see my last image above). Yes, I do realize that's a different bug, but it's still relevant to fullscreen mode.

A more effective workaround is to simply continue to use version 4.41, since it didn't have either issue, so there's no need to tamper with any settings.

I'll keep watching for a new version to be released, but until then, I've already reverted back to 4.41, which is where I will stay.

Comment

The 4.50 (64 bit) APP is now available in MS Store

The 32-bit version will follow later.

Comment

Working...
                    X