Images with long pathnames are skipped in viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Images with long pathnames are skipped in viewing

System: IrfanView64 4.44 with all 64-bit plugins installed running on Windows 8.1 patched with all important updates.

The program exhibits two different behaviors depending on path length (without extension, i.e. not counting .jpg, .png, etc) of opened file:

1. Path is 255 characters long: The image can be opened directly, but if it is switched to (next/previous image), the total image count decreases and the image is skipped.

2. Path is more than 255 characters long: If any of these images is opened first, everything works as normal. If not, same behavior as 1.

I know this is a rare occurrence (I renamed the folder the files were in) and a result of a legacy problem of Microsoft Windows' 260 character path length limit, but I'd have been bitten by this if I hadn't noticed the silent bug.

It would be nice if you could, for example, provide a warning so the users know that some files were skipped. Thank you.
    Last edited by zhengke; 08.10.2017, 09:24 PM. Reason: Added version info and some clarifications
Working...
X