• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed IPTC in Greek + Metadata.dll v4.43 = Gibberish

Metadata.dll v4.43 is what comes with IrfanView v4.44 — details:

filever -v "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Metadata_dll"
    --a-- W32i APP ENU 4.4.3.0 shp 105,472 09-29-2017 metadata_dll
    Language 0x0409 (English (United States))
    CharSet 0x04e4 Windows, Multilingual
    OleSelfRegister Disabled
    CompanyName Irfan Skiljan
    FileDescription Metadata PlugIn for IrfanView
    InternalName Metadata PlugIn
    OriginalFilenam Metadata.dll
    ProductName EXIF/IPTC/Comment information for IrfanView
    ProductVersion 4.43
    FileVersion 4.43
    LegalCopyright Copyright ? 2016 by Irfan Skiljan, Austria
    LegalTrademarks
    PrivateBuild
    SpecialBuild
    Comments Unicode (UTF-8)

VS_FIXEDFILEINFO:
    Signature: feef04bd
    Struc Ver: 00010000
    FileVer: 00040004:00030000 (4.4:3.0)
    ProdVer: 00040004:00030000 (4.4:3.0)
    FlagMask: 00000000
    Flags: 00000028 private special
    FileType: 00000001 App
    SubType: 00000000
    FileDate: 00000000:00000000

I have a ton of JPEG’s with IPTC metadata in Greek and my 1st screenshot illustrates my problem, after upgrading to IrfanView v4.44 from v4.32.

After reading the History of Changes (http://www.irfanview.com/history_old.htm) I have downloaded iview442.zip and I am using the Metadata.dll from this package — details:

filever -v "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Metadata.dll"
    --a-- W32i APP ENU 4.4.2.0 shp 101,888 03-03-2016 metadata.dll
    Language 0x0409 (English (United States))
    CharSet 0x04e4 Windows, Multilingual
    OleSelfRegister Disabled
    CompanyName Irfan Skiljan
    FileDescription Metadata PlugIn for IrfanView
    InternalName Metadata PlugIn
    OriginalFilenam Metadata.dll
    ProductName EXIF/IPTC/Comment information for IrfanView
    ProductVersion 4.42
    FileVersion 4.42
    LegalCopyright Copyright ? 2016 by Irfan Skiljan, Austria
    LegalTrademarks
    PrivateBuild
    SpecialBuild
    Comments

VS_FIXEDFILEINFO:
    Signature: feef04bd
    Struc Ver: 00010000
    FileVer: 00040004:00020000 (4.4:2.0)
    ProdVer: 00040004:00020000 (4.4:2.0)
    FlagMask: 00000000
    Flags: 00000028 private special
    FileType: 00000001 App
    SubType: 00000000
    FileDate: 00000000:00000000

My 2nd screenshot shows that when using the 4.42 Metadata.dll my IPTC metadata in Greek are displayed correctly.

Kindly investigate, also let me know whether what I am doing is likely to get me into data corruption trouble.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pol_JS; 29.09.2017, 03:32 PM.

Is the Unicode plugin enabled? Can you share the original photo?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If you mean under Properties/Settings | Language | Load Unicode PlugIn at program start (for filenames with non-latin characters), yes — of course! — it is enabled; the only difference is that I am currently using Metadata.dll from IrfanView v4.42, without changing anything else, I don’t see, therefore, how this would affect IrfanView behaviour (since with the previous version’s Metadata.dll it just works — it is a simple matter of renaming Metadata.dll v4.43 to Metadata_dll and copying Metadata.dll v4.42 in the IrfanView Plugins folder, with IrfanView closed, of course). Kindly answer my question, whether I am asking for trouble by using that previous version DLL, as I can afford neither data corruption, nor waiting for a fix (or whatever).

The original image, that I have used in my screenshots to illustrate the problem, can be found @ http://www.ogdoo.gr/epikairotita/mou...stin-texnopoli (image URL: http://www.ogdoo.gr/images/texafisampasis.jpg).

Comment

The image contains no Exif data.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No, it does not and as far as I know EXIF data cannot be changed using IrfanView; in any case I am only interested in the IPTC data I have added myself, though — part of it in Greek. While I have added such IPTC data all right, using previous versions of IrfanView and they displayed OK, using IrfanView v4.44 with its Metadata.dll v4.43 (i.e. the first version ported to unicode, according to the History of Changes @ http://www.irfanview.com/history_old.htm), the same IPTC data do not display correctly, as can be seen in my 1st screenshot, but they are displayed correctly when replacing v4.43 with v4.42 of Metadata.dll (i.e. the previous version, taken from the IrfanView v4.42 ZIP package).

Comment

The file contains no IPTC data either.

Maybe it was stripped when you uploaded it to the Web? Without being able to reproduce the bug there's nothing I can do. Feel free to contact Irfan Skiljan directly.

See Help, About for his email address.

Comment

The IPTC data I have added myself, in my local copy, as I have done with countless other image files in my collection, using previous versions of IrfanView, without any weirdness whatsoever. I cannot imagine why it is difficult for you to play with the IPTC data of the same image — or any other, for that matter! — by adding a couple of non-latin characters in there and see what gives, thereby seeing yourself whether you can reproduce this potential bug, but, anyway, I have attached this local copy of mine to this reply — see if they get stripped and whatever you might be able to do.

Can you kindly answer me whether it is a mistake to use a previous version Metadata.dll or not?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pol_JS View Post
                I cannot imagine why it is difficult for you to play with the IPTC data of the same image — or any other, for than matter!
                My free time is limited. Testing something other that what you are using might turn out to be a wild goose-chase, as was looking at the Web Image without the relevant IPTC data. With the original image it took only a minute to verify the bug.

I have forwarded the report to Irfan Skiljan.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan sent me some updated plugins. Only the 32-bit plugin works for me.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.10.2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

This is why this does not work in the 64-bit version

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
                    IrfanView 32 can show it ... because of the Unicode plugin (which maybe was the cause for the bad text) => and show it "properly"
                    => 2 errors, which can compensate each other.

Future IrfanView version will not show it "properly", because the text is not OK.

The user should use IrfanView-32 and when the text is "Ok", save it using other options (dialog Tab).

and if IrfanView-64 shows it properly, the text is IS really OK
                    I attach your file with the IPTC comment written from 32-bit version. The Greek text is now OK and will display correctly in the 64-bit version.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.10.2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

The Metadata.dll v4.50, which is contained in the attachment, is working — it both displays existing text and saves any additional text OK, it also saves Greek text OK when no IPTC data previously existed (I have tested with a brand new screenshot).

I do not understand much of what Irfan said, though. I had inserted the Greek text in the image I attached myself, using IrfanView v4.32 — obviously 32bit, as my OS is 32bit, as in my profile — so… what exactly was “not OK”, regarding the text I had inserted?! And, how come that the fixed Metadata.dll v4.50 has a modification date of 21 Mar 2017, if it is a recent fix?!

Comment

If it now works, that's all that matters.

Comment

All right, then…

Thanks again, both you and Irfan, for everything!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X