No announcement yet.

Batch conversion only fast, when moving the mouse over the conversion-window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch conversion only fast, when moving the mouse over the conversion-window

Hello,

I'm using irfanview to convert many png-pics to jpg and in the same step I set the file size to 990.00 KB (with the help of the RIOT PlugIn).

The strange thing is, that the batch conversion is veeeeery slowly (about 20 pics per hour). And only, when I move my mouse over the conversion-window, then it is running fast (about 1000 pics per hour). But I have no time to sit and move the whole time the mouse over the conversion screen.

In another forum I found another user, who had the same problem.

I use irfanview Version 4.44 - 64 bit on a windows 10 64 bit.

Please help me to solve this problem.

Kind regards

Artur
    (schwedenole)
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.10.2017, 08:11 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

First, upgrade to IrfanView 4.50 and update your forum profile. Perhaps that may solve the problem.

I have seen the problem reported before, but I cannot find the earlier thread.

For me, the main point of using a Batch process is that it can run in the background while I get on with something else, so being slow is not a big issue, but a fifty-fold difference is ridiculous.

I wonder what advantage you see in maintaining a fixed file size of 990 Kbytes? Why not choose a compression ratio that would safely keep nearly all images below that threshold and don't use the RIOT plugin. It will be much faster, and most images will be smaller.

Certain types of image benefit much more from low JPG compression (High quality) than others. Any image with sharp lines, e.g. buildings or text will look bad with a Save Quality much less than 90 or 95, portraits are fine with 75, landscapes with 50, and seascapes are OK with 35.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quality vs File Size.png
Views:	3
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	81756
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.10.2017, 06:17 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

In my test, a batch conversion of 20 files took about 2½ minutes with focus given to the Batch dialogue.

That increased to at least 8 minutes when running in the background. Just giving focus to IrfanView during the second run, resulted in several more images appearing in Windows Explorer immediately.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,

thank you for your reply. Now I've edited my profile. But I couldn't select the new irfanView-Version 4.50 in the selection.

I use the RIOT Plugin, because I have quite big PNG-files of about 6 MB and want to convert them down to 990 KB. I want to upload the images to a WordPress server. And this server has a limit of the filesize of 1 MB.

So I've now installed the new irfanview-version 4.50. But the problem still resists. I think that the RIOT plugin is responsible for the problem.

I will try, if it is enough only to convert from png to jpg. Maybe the filesize then automatically will be below of 1 MB.

Comment

I will be surprised if a 6 Mbyte PNG does not easily reduce to less than 1 Mbyte as a JPG, even at a high quality of 80 or greater.

Name:	PNG Info.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	81758

Name:	Mahasi Gateway.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	81759
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.10.2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Using the program without the RIOT plugin is very fast. Now I converted 500 PNGs within 2 minutes.

I set the quality to 80 % and then only 2 files were left, which were bigger then 1 MB. With this 2 files I used then the RIOT plugin

But the behaviour of the program is still strange, when using the RIOT plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by schwedenole View Post
              But the behaviour of the program is still strange, when using the RIOT plugin.
              Agreed. I contacted the plugin's author to see if he has some suggestions.

Comment

I heard back from the plugin's author:

Originally posted by Lucian Sabo
                I sincerely never tested this because I never understood the need for this feature, ,and it was implemented only because many people requested it. This is probably related to the way the OS notifies the program about progress bar changes. The program was designed to operate with the settings chosen on the UI, it was not intended to be used as a background service, so the quality/color number slider's position is used to save the file.
                The OS probably tries to be smart and does not update windows out of focus (looks like it delays this as much as possible from your description).

Unfortunately this change requires a large amount of work, and I don't have any time for it.

I recommend to try using the batch feature of RIOT because it should improve things, and results should be faster than from IrfanView, as that will directly use RIOT to save the files, and should have enough OS priority..

Lucian

Comment

Working...
                X