Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Irfanview 4.50 is unable to find TWAIN source

System is Win10Home 64bit, Irfanview 4.50 32bit

click on File - Select Scan / TWAIN Source ...
    ... no TWAIN source found

Irfanview 4.44 32bit works on this same system

From the IrfanView Site:

Advantages of IrfanView 32-bit over 64-bit version:
    • Runs on a 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
    • Loads all files/images for normal needs (max. RAM size is about 1.3 GB)
    • Needs less disc space
    • All PlugIns will work: not all PlugIns are ported (yet) to 64-bit (like OCR) and some 32-bit PlugIns must be still used in the 64-bit version, some with limitations (see the "Plugins32" folder)
    • Some old 32-bit PlugIns (like RIOT and Adobe 8BF PlugIn) work only in compatilibilty mode in IrfanView-64
    • Command line options for scanning (/scan etc.) work only in 32-bit (because no 64-bit TWAIN drivers)
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I am well aware of this.
      Please note that I correctly specified that the problem is with the 32bit version of Irfanview 4.50, and 4.44 32bit works correctly.
      So I still regard this as a bug in 4.50.
      Last edited by WilfriedH; 19.10.2017, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I read Windows 64-bit and missed the fact that you're using IrfanView 32-bit.

It works for me. Have you tried reinstalling IrfanView?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TWAIN Drivers.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	81772
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you.
          I first installed 4.50 over 4.44 - problem occurs.
          Rebooted Windows - problem persists.
          Uninstalled 4.50 and installed 4.44 - works.
          Uninstalled 4.44 and installed 4.50 - problem occurs.
          Uninstalled 4.50 and installed 4.44 - works.

The problem affects both TWAIN sources, the USB scanner as well as the webcam which is integrated in the Notebook.

I will make further tests, also on a Windows 7 Pro 32bit system with the same USB scanner, but not before this evening.

Comment

My Canon Lide 220 scanner still works OK with v4.50 but I changed from the Twain interface to WIA some time ago.
            Is your scanner still recognised in File > Select Scan/Twain Source?

Comment

@Mij: "Is your scanner still recognised in File > Select Scan/Twain Source?"
              Exactly this is the problem. When I click on "File > Select Scan/Twain Source", Irfanview 4.44 correctly shows the Twain sources, while 4.50 shows the error message "TWAIN error: device does not respond or TWAIN driver is not installed"

Name:	Iview_TwainError.png
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	81773
              More tests:
              On Win10home 64bit:
              - Again uninstalled Irfanview. Reboot PC. Installed Irfanview 4.50 explicitly as admin. Problem occurs.
              - uninstalled Irfanview 4.50. Installed Irfanview 4.44. Scan works.
              On Win7pro 32bit:
              - Irfanview 4.50 correctly works with the same scanner driver.

Comment

Showing the Twain source I think just means that Irfanview can see a Twain driver for that particular scanner in the twain_32 (or twain_64) subdirectory of the Windows program folder. When I open Irfanview I see both the Canon Lide 220 that I now use and the old Lide 60 scanner which has not been connected since Windows 7 days. If I select the Lide 60 I get that error message "TWAIN error: device does not respond or TWAIN driver is not installed". I can select either the Lide220 Twain or the Lide220 WIA interface. Both of those work correctly in v4.50 32bit.
                If you get that error message when you click to Select a Twain source I would check your scanner manufacturer's website and see if there is a newer driver available. Win 10 keeps on being updated and maybe the old driver is struggling to keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                  Showing the Twain source I think just means that Irfanview can see a Twain driver for that particular scanner in the twain_32 (or twain_64) subdirectory of the Windows program folder. ...
                  If you get that error message when you click to Select a Twain source I would check your scanner manufacturer's website and see if there is a newer driver available. Win 10 keeps on being updated and maybe the old driver is struggling to keep up.
                  You missed the point. Irfanview 4.44 finds both TWAIN sources, Irfanview 4.50 does not find any of them.

Comment

To my surprise, installing IrfanView 4.50 64bit solved the problem.
                    The 64 bit version DOES find the TWAIN sources and nicely cooperates with the scanner.

Comment

Strange .. I have the same problem, LiDE 220 not detected .... but for me both version (32 & 64-bits) do not detect it. Though other programs (Paint/Photoshop) no issue.

Comment

Sorry. I do not know where Irfanview gets the information to detect the installed scanner. This is the dialog I see when I click on SelectScan/Twain source in Irfanview v4.50 32bit.
                        As I said in an earlier post the LiDE 60 has not been connected to this computer for over a year but it is still displayed along with the LiDE 220 which is connected to it.

Name:	IV Select.png
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	82991
                        I notice that there is a program called SGST.exe in C:/Windows/Twain_32/CNQSG/ folder which returns when double clicked

Name:	SGST.png
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	82992
                        Apart from that there are multiple keys that contain both "LiDE 60" and "LiDE 220" in the Registry when I search it.
                        Irfanview might be using any of those.

Comment

Working...
                        X