Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Custom selection - button to bring back last used coordinates

Hi.

Have an workflow where I in this case use a map program that I grab a copy of screen from - and then crop the image.
    But then I realize that I need another screenshot (cropped) from the same program window, but need the coordinates to stay the same as before - and that is of course not saved at all. That is just one realistic scenario, when cropping an image - I've several time encounters situations where I wish I had saved the selection coordinates the last time, but not.

Therefore my suggestion is like this: Whenever the user make a selection, regardless of using mouse only or selection dialog box - the position and size should be saved. And the Custom Selection dialog box should contain a new button labeled "last used".
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Doesn't "Save values and exit" do what you want?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

yes it does, but then the human factor

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Doesn't "Save values and exit" do what you want?
      Yes it does, and it is a very nice function. The problem is really not about the program/GUI design but rather about coping with some human factors.

For the existing functionality (svae for short) - as long as I'm aware - if that this is something I had planned to take more than one screenshot from - the existing svae works exceptionally well. But if I later decide that the screenshot wasn't good enough and need to alter something (map layers on some web sites, etc.) then I must redo the process of the first screenshot to ensure the coordinates stays the same.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.10.2017, 05:31 AM. Reason: Typos fixed and off-topic comment removed

Comment

Originally posted by Sprintdriver View Post
        But if I later decide that the screenshot wasn't good enough and need to alter something (map layers on some web sites, etc.) then I must redo the process of the first screenshot to ensure the coordinates stays the same.
        Doesn't "Add to standard box" achieve that?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Doesn't "Add to standard box" achieve that?
          No it doesn't. It only saves the Width and Height parameters and Sprintdriver wants X and Y offset saved too. As I understand it, he also wants to save X, Y, W and H values automatically whenever he uses a selection to crop an image, without the need to use the Custom selection dialog.

The present Custom selection box does almost what you want, Spintdriver, if you can work out the difference between "Save values and Exit" and "Save and draw on image" buttons (OK I will call them svae and s&doi if that is what you want).

Most of the time svae and s&doi appear to do the same thing and I never fully understood why Irfan introduced the second button. I think I would try to implement what you want by changing svae to an On/Off button called "Autosave". When it was On, the 4 set values would be automatically saved when s&doi was pressed and, with the dialog closed, whenever a selection box was used to crop an image. Then when you next opened the dialog the last autosaved values would still be showing there.

Perhaps when Autosave is Off (or possibly On) then leaving the dialog by pressing Cancel might be able to do what svae can do and s&doi cannot, if we can ever figure out what that is.

Comment

Hi.

I think I need some introduction for s&doi to be able to answer to that question.

Playing around with an open image - I realize that such a feature must take in account wheter there is an selection or not. So if the user have manually selected anything on the canvas - the "bring back pevious selection" must point back onto the previously selection, not the current one.

Alternatively - what about a stack? Instead of one stored previously selection, there is a stack of stored selections?
            And there only need to be added two small buttons - Stack up and Stack down, to go back to more than one selection. I think that would be pretty close to a spin button.

What happens if the current image is too small, so that lower right corner of selection get out of image boundaries? Haven't thaught of that. Maybe just making the numbers in the coordinates input box red?

Just for an idea - I used Inkscape to show what I think those button would look like. However I think that the size of the dialog box need to be a little bit wider to make it fit.
            [img=http://www71.zippyshare.com/thumb/AhHo0TNE/file.html][/img]

Comment

Working...
            X