Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save As dialog: Format options sub-dialog missing or shows up in corner of the screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Save As dialog: Format options sub-dialog missing or shows up in corner of the screen

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a .jpg image file
    2. Hit 'S' to open "Save as" dialog
    . JPG is already selected as save type, and "Show options dialog" is already checked.
    . But there is no JPG options dialog window. Normally it should be docked to right of "Save As" dialog window (as in IV 4.44)
    3. If I hit the Esc key, the Save As dialog should close, but does not, so the focus is somewhere weird
    4. If I uncheck and recheck the "Show options dialog" box, the JPG options dialog shows up in the top-right corner of screen. Any repositioning is not saved.
    5. For other formats I checked, PDF shows up in top-left, while PNG does not show up at all.

This happened when I went from IV v4.44 to v4.50. I used "irfanview_plugins_450_setup.exe" to update the plugins as well.

(on WinXP-SP3, 32-bit)

No such issue here. Windows XP has been obsolete for three years now. If I was a developer I would not fix bugs that are only reproducible on Windows XP.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for checking. Even if it isn't addressed, I think it's still useful to report it just in case other users have same problem. It's been so nice for some developers to continue supporting the older OS's even with their dwindling user bases. Irfan even still lists 2003, 2008, Vista, 7, and 8, which is impressive. I know it's considered unfashionable or contemptible to continue to use the older ones, I use several including Windows 10, but some machines that are still useful cannot be upgraded. Thank you for your time.

Comment

The best generic advice is to use old versions of software on old OS, and the latest versions only on a new OS.

Irfan Skiljan is a the sole developer of IrfanView. He is very good, and often fixes things promptly when asked, but I don't see his time being well spent to fix minor issues for Windows XP. At least the 32-bit version of the program still runs on it.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I agree with you of course about the value of Irfan's time. I just wanted to express my appreciation and gratitude for his dedication and supporting it as long as he has. It's been so long I can't even remember when I started using it, but I don't think there's another essential program I use (especially freeware) that I've used longer that is still actively developed (well, besides vim).

Comment

Ah, joy. Fixed in v4.51. Keyboard focus still lost when format sub-options dialog opens, but can get it back by Alt+TAB-ing away (to another window) and back again (Windows XP).

Thank you Irfan!

Comment

For me it works on Windows XP in 4.50 (I will look into updating later). The focus is on the filename field, and is moved back there if I click on "Show options dialog". Maybe the cause for it not working is some system-wide modification to the Save As dialog that changes its size or adds extra buttons to it. Can you make a screenshot of the dialog?

Criticising Windows XP is not appropriate here. Of course Microsoft would like you to buy their new products all time. Later versions of Windows are 10-20 times bigger than XP and require more memory.
              Last edited by j7n; 28.02.2018, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Sure thing. I'm glad someone else is interested. This is from v4.51 just after 'S' is hit.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	83068
                If the dialog on the right (jpg options) wasn't there, then the focus would be on the filename, as you said. Besides clicking on "Show options dialog", if you change the extension field to anything that changes the options dialog, then the focus also disappears.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not see anything odd in this dialog to explain the behavior. I was thinking that the loss of focus might be due to an invisible control being focused because of an error. I can see that IrfanView tries to "help" by actively moving focus to the filename after the extension list is clicked, and also to shift focus to the Options dialog when the Tab key is pressed several times. In other programs, the focus remains where the mouse was clicked.

I tried v4.51 on WinXP and Svr2003, and it works as expected.

A slight strangeness occurs if Tab is pressed twice on the Cancel button. The "Recent folders" list expands but can't be interacted with the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by j7n View Post
                    Unfortunately I do not see anything odd in this dialog to explain the behavior. I was thinking that the loss of focus might be due to an invisible control being focused because of an error. I can see that IrfanView tries to "help" by actively moving focus to the filename after the extension list is clicked, and also to shift focus to the Options dialog when the Tab key is pressed several times. In other programs, the focus remains where the mouse was clicked.

I tried v4.51 on WinXP and Svr2003, and it works as expected.

A slight strangeness occurs if Tab is pressed twice on the Cancel button. The "Recent folders" list expands but can't be interacted with the keyboard.
                    Yeah, it's odd why yours (on XP-SP1, I presume) is working correctly and like the version, say, on Windows 10, as opposed to mine on the newer XP-SP3. I give up.

"Strangeness" Tab GUI bug: (also applies to v4.51 32-bit version on Windows 10 Home): From what I see, if you hit TAB twice on "Cancel", focus switches to "Save file with original date/time" checkbox, then "Show options dialog" checkbox (if unchecked), as expected. A third TAB puts you in "Recent Folders" and then it starts over. Ok.

But if "Show options dialog" is already checked, the second TAB from Cancel puts you on "Show options dialog" again but also opens the "Recent Folders" dropdown list (a bug), like you said. The focus is still really on "Show options" which is why you can't seem to interact with the list. The arrow keys are just moving back and forth between "Show options" and "Save original date" but you can't see that because the dropdown box is covering them. If you shrink the main dialog you can see some of this. The bug is continued when you hit TAB again - it doesn't just go to "Recent Folders" (already open) but closes the list and immediately skips to the Options dialog.

SO: It seems the Options dialog doesn't play nice with "Recent Folders" when TAB-ing.

Since this happens on Windows 10 Home (Irfanview 32-bit v4.51), I guess you could start a new bug thread on it (I'm not going to).

Comment

I just had that occur to me - no jpg dialog box, even though "show" was checked. I'm on Windows 7 and Irfanview 4.53. (Will now upgrade to 4.54, 32 bit. Solved after looking here by closing Irfanview, then re-trying but with PNG instead of jpg. Got the dialog box. Tried then as jpg, and it was there as it should be! No idea why it temporarily did not appear! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RichU View Post
                        I just had that occur to me - no jpg dialog box, even though "show" was checked. I'm on Windows 7 and Irfanview 4.53. (Will now upgrade to 4.54, 32 bit. Solved after looking here by closing Irfanview, then re-trying but with PNG instead of jpg. Got the dialog box. Tried then as jpg, and it was there as it should be! No idea why it temporarily did not appear! Thanks!
                        Hi, I had the same missing the dialog when "Show options dialog" was checked on win 7 64bit with Irfanview 4.51 / 32bit
                        After reading this thread I updated to 4.54 64bit still on Win7 and open a image and selected "save as" bmp and the dialog was there ...great
                        Then I selected to save a TGA = no dialog.
                        Back to save as BMP = no dialog

Reinstalled the 4.54 and still no dialog even in BMP
                        The I tried to save as PNG and now the dialog was back also in BMP
                        Now when select TGA = no dialog also not in BMP.
                        Back to PNG and the Dialog works again

So I susspect that saving as TGA "Disable" the option (mayby due to there are no option for TGA in Irfanview) and then it's not getting "enabled" in all the format which will have an option dialog, but at least in PNG

Hope it makes sense and I guess it a generic problem more than a OS problem.
                        Irfainfview is a great software

Thank you

Comment

I see no options for BMP, nor for TGA, which is expected. It is by design as these formats have no save options.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                            I see no options for BMP, nor for TGA, which is expected. It is by design as these formats have no save options.
                            Hm... pretty strange, looking again and you are right I don't see it for BMP, I'm quite sure I saw when testing before, I might have done something wrong.

Anyway the reason for missing the option in TGA are that I was looking for a format supporting RLE encoding since I have to save a small image in a ROM in a FPGA and take as little space as possible and at the same time easy to decompress.

Both BMP and TGA does support RLE compression and I expected it would be in the option menu.

Comment

I think you will need to use another image viewer. XnView is pretty powerful. FastStone Image viewer is free for non-commercial use, and support RLE for BMP.

Comment

Working...
                              X