file association x64 Win10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported file association x64 Win10

Hello, i had constant problem with Irfanview 4.50 version x64 on my windows 10. It kept resetting file associations and not accepting ur program to be used as main image opening tool. Windows kept informing me that irfanview "created problems" in a announce. I've solved problem by installing x86 version.

dxdiag (only part as i could not paste whole thing here):

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 11/15/2017, 12:06:11
    Machine name: AENSEIDHE
    Machine Id: {7E77367A-09F5-4ABF-9B7E-D8891AFAB65D}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
    Language: Polish (Regional Setting: Polish)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: 0812
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.8GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16330MB RAM
    Page File: 5735MB used, 13026MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.16299.0015 64bit Unicode

Have you tried setting IrfanView as the default for file types via Control Panel?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes. didnt worked. After few seconds it keept reseting.

Comment

Did you install IrfanView from the App Store or from the IrfanView home page? I recommend the latter. Install the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and the plugins for both versions.

You can get the latest updates from my Help page (in my forum signature).
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
          Did you install IrfanView from the App Store or from the IrfanView home page? I recommend the latter. Install the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and the plugins for both versions.

You can get the latest updates from my Help page (in my forum signature).
          Ive installed program from home page
          :Available 64-bit downloads
          download IrfanView-64 English (Version 4.50, Self extracting EXE file, 3.34 MB)
          (SHA-256 checksum: aa0bdf15331cabaf02c96b1027525ef42d5068c1c999dc3b6b bd1903b24977b3)

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView-6...=dl&tag=button
          Also im using M2 SSD drive connected via pci-e if it changes anything.

Im not really using any advanced features of irfanview, just using it as fast loading program to preview graphic, cos for editing im using Adobe stuff.

Comment

Which image types show as ticked in Settings, Extensions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings Extensions.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	82958

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Which image types show as ticked in Settings, Extensions?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5001[/ATTACH]
              Well.. i dont have this x64 installed anymore. But ive used "images only" button before, same as just right click on jpg file, open with, always use this program. It looked like any way i set associate - it did not work.

Name:	Bez tytu?u123.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	82959 - its like that now on my x86 IV version

Also if it might change anything, during installation ive set custom installation path on hard drive D: / current user only / and as suggested during installation the program settings saved on my user profile. Im administrator ofc.

EDIT: Ok guys, i was about to be lazy.. but i will help you as i worked as QA before. I will install this 64 bit version and give more details.
              Last edited by rageofwinter; 15.11.2017, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Please send a bug report to Irfan Skiljan (Help menu, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says.

Comment

Well, for some reason bug doesnt exists for me any more. I think there is something between win10 and associate window of IV, because it keep not working for me like i set jpg file to be opened by IV in IV menu, but it changes nothing. Maybe some kind of lack of privileges.

Comment

I have given up trying to set associations in Win10 from the options menu within Irfanview after it is installed. The installer does have special privileges and you can set up associations during the installation process but successive updates of Windows 10 make it more and more difficult to set associations from within a program even if you do Run as Administrator. Use Windows own built in features instead.
                    Even that is getting harder to find. Control Panel seems to be a thing of the past. It used to be on the menu you get by pressing Win key+X, but now I have to choose Settings>Apps>Default Apps (then scroll down to bottom)>Default apps by file type
                    I have Classic menu installed so I can also find Settings directly from there, but it is a different path to the same place. From there I follow
                    Settings>Set your default programs> Irfanview 32bit or 64bit> Choose defaults for for this program

Comment

Removal of DXF extension dont works

I run program as admin and unchecked .DXF extension.

Name:	Extensions.png
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	83522

After i restarted my PC when i click on .DXF file IrfanView open it. Why?

FileTypesMan shows that IrfanView still handle this type of file...

Name:	DXF File Type.png
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	83523

So, how can i remove association to .dxf files properly?
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.09.2020, 11:09 AM. Reason: Inserted images inline

Comment

Have you noticed the hints in the dialog?

Name:	iv_ext_win10.png
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	83524

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I run as ADMIN but .DXF association didnt removed.
                          I had to use FileTypesMan (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html) because Windows are useless (u don't have option to remove association) these days...

Comment

Working...
                          X