A hotkey for setting the viewport in the center of the image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested A hotkey for setting the viewport in the center of the image

The photo camera images are big these days: 4,000 x 3,000 pixels is nothing unusual.

When I push Ctrl + H in order to view the image at the original size, the viewport is set to the top-left corner of the image (Irfanview shows the top-left corner of the image, as much as it can fit in the viewing window). But the most important part is in the center of the image.

I would like to ask for a shortcut key for moving the viewport to the center of the image, instead of having to use the scroll bars.

Also it would be extremely useful to have an option that tells Irfanview to set the viewport to the center of the image, every time the user is viewing the image at the original size.

Another idea is to use the numeric keypad in order to move the viewport in all the nine sides of the image: top-left, top-middle, top-right, left-middle, center, right-middle, bottom-left, bottom-middle, bottom-right. Together with Ctrl or Alt or Shift or a combination of these modifier keys.

Thank you

Try disabling Num Lock. Pressing the 5 key centres the image. Home/End work to scroll to the left/right of the current viewport. PageUp/PageDown scroll to the top/bottom of the current viewport.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That's really nice, thank you.

Then I would like to request the feature to center the viewport automatically, when viewing the original size (Ctrl+H).

Comment

That would change the behaviour for all users, which is sure to upset someone's current workflow.

I see no special benefit from viewing the centre of a large image rather than the top left corner. If one wants to view a particular detail, it's better to marquee select and click inside the selection.

Where does the Ctrl H shortcut come from? For me it's Shift+O to view at the original size.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 16.11.2017, 11:12 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

In fullscreen it is easier. Just press 1 to zoom to full size and C to toggle between Centered and Top left.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            In fullscreen it is easier. Just press 1 to zoom to full size and C to toggle between Centered and Top left.
            A useful tip.

In fullscreen mode one can scroll up and down with Ctrl+Scrollwheel, or pan left and right with Ctrl+Shift+Scrollwheel to move around large images.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              That would change the behaviour for all users, which is sure to upset someone's current workflow.
              I meant an option to center the viewport when viewing the original size. Leave it unchecked by default and then it won't upset anyone's workflow

I see no special benefit from viewing the centre of a large image rather than the top left corner. If one wants to view a particular detail, it's better to marquee select and click inside the selection.
              There is a huge benefit in that. Many photos contain an object in the center and then viewing the top-left corner means looking at the background, which is not very interesting. Usually you want to see the details of the object.
              Example: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...eiheFrucht.jpg

Where does the Ctrl H shortcut come from? For me it's Shift+O to view at the original size.
              I went to the "View" menu and it says "Original size Ctrl + H". So the real question is where the Shift+O come from?
              When jumping to the next/previous image, the image is shown at the original size when using Shift + O, which is not the case when using Ctrl + H
              In any case, I think they should both toggle, to make them more useful.
              By the way, now I got a problem, my Irfanview doesn't fit the images to screen anymore, and the 1,2,3.. hotkeys do not work when not in full screen. Using IV 4.44

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              This is absolutely awesome!
              It centers the viewport automatically and it keeps viewing at the original size (with centered viewport) when jumping to the next image. I wanted to ask for an option to keep viewing at the original size when using Ctrl + H
              Thank you very much!
              Last edited by zed; 18.11.2017, 11:28 AM.

Comment

There actually is a way to keep viewing at original size (100% zoom) after pressing Ctrl+H in window mode and that is to lock the zoom by pressing Shift+L. When you move on to the next image you will find that the zoom is still at 100%. Unfortunately it will not be centred and you will have to press 5 on the number pad to move it back there for each new image.

Pressing Shift+O sets to the display mode at the top of the Display Options dialog (which you get to from the View menu). Irfan names this "Fit windows to image(1:1 recommended)". It does zoom the image ratio to 100% but I personally would not recommend it to anybody. It used to be popular when many images at 100% zoom were smaller than the size of the monitor screen but today it usually results in a permanently maximized window.
                With small images of varying size the window changes shape and size. It would display each image in a large as possible window but these always migrate up to the top left corner of the screen as you change images. Unless that is you went into the Viewing tab of the main Options dialog and checked what (in v4.50) is now called "Put the window in the middle of the screen when loading new image" which does just that. If you switch back to the more commonly used "Fit images to window" (Shift+W) you then have to find the entry in the dialog again and uncheck it, otherwise the window which you have just set up where you want it to be will leap back to the centre of the screen every time you change images.

Comment

Working...
                X