Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasting a cropped image onto another image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasting a cropped image onto another image?

I can't seem to do this properly.

1) I open an image
    2) drag a square around the portion I wan't
    3)Edit -> Cut Selection
    4) Open a new image
    5)Edit -> paste

When I do step 5, the cropped images is replacing the image I just opened (not overlaying)

What should I do?

Thank you.

1. Make the desired selection (or Ctrl A to copy the entire image)
    2. Copy
    3. Open Custom Selection dialogue (Shift C)
    4. Click on: Save Values and Exit
    5. Select other image
    6. Open Custom Selection dialogue
    7. Click on: Save and draw on image
    8. Move the selection with RMB
    9. Paste into the selection (Ctrl V)

Please fill in your forum profile so that we know which version you're using.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The problem with your method, bigmit37, is in step 5. You need to draw a selection to paste into, otherwise it is assumed that you want it to cover the whole image and stretches what is on the clipboard to cover the whole of it.
      If you want the pasted image to be the same size and shape as the original hold down the Shift and Control keys and click on the spot where you want the top left corner of the selection to appear. You can drag the selection to a different position using the right mouse button if you want to. Then paste into the selection.

Bhikku Pesala's method, using the Custom selection dialog, saves both the size and shape of the selection and its position in the original image so allows you to restore the selection box to exactly the same place on the new image. The position is only relative to the top left corner of the images though so is generally useful only if the images themselves are both the same size and shape.
      Last edited by Mij; 27.11.2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

How to paste left or right

Comment

Originally posted by ojb51495 View Post
          How to paste left or right
          Just use that option on the Edit menu after copying something to the clipboard.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
          X