• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterious change in picture files - Jpeg expert opinion needed

Mysterious change in picture files - Jpeg expert opinion needed

Hi all,
    (short info)
    Can someone tell me what caused the difference in the following two files ? It is the same picture, downloaded (copy/paste) from the same phone to the same win7 x64 machine at different times.

(details)
    Usually I copy all the pictures from phone to a new folder, sometimes I delete them from phone, sometimes not. I discovered by chance that the same files that I copied at different times are different, it looks like some metadata change. I uploaded only a pair, but all files are affected the same way. I would like to know if the change was made by the phone itself (moving pictures to card storage?! software update?!), or some editor/viewer without user permission... however strange this might seem.
    Phone is Sony Xperia Z2 (more details in file metadata), and the viewers I usually use for browsing are IrfanView, XnView and some old ACDSee...

So anyone who has an idea or can suggest a better place to ask the question, please help
    Thanks

Try filebin.net those pictures have been resized and do not open in IrfanView due to an error in the header.

Edit: After clicking on the thumbnail to open the full picture and downloading that, the files opened OK.

Filebin is better as it just saves the original file, whatever type of file it is.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.11.2017, 08:41 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

For some reason, I didn't have problems downloading and opening the files. The pictures are identical, there are some differences in the metadata. For instance, one has some Sony's makernotes, the other doesn't. If you wish to compare yourself, the data are in the zip.

The suggested filebin service never changes uploaded files; I wouldn't know the one, you have used. Have all a nice day!
      Attached Files
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Thank you.
        Indeed it seems that Sony maker notes are the difference, at least we know that.
        The most curious thing (looking over the pictures I copied from the phone over time) is that:
        - the oldest pictures have no maker notes
        - pictures downloaded in about a few months period have the maker notes section
        - pictures downloaded after that have no maker notes, even if lots of them are the same pictures downloaded before, when they did have the notes ?!!
        So still cannot find a reason why/when pictures residing on a phone would be modified to exclude the Maker notes section, before (or less likely, after) being copied to windows and what causes that... any ideas or explanation attempts are welcome!
        Last edited by FeriM; 28.11.2017, 07:54 PM.

Comment

When you copy/paste an image file from a phone to a computer, several factors could lead to differences between the two files:
          1. Compression: Some image formats, like JPEG, use lossy compression to reduce file size. When an image is saved or transferred, it might undergo compression, resulting in a loss of image quality. Depending on the compression settings, this could lead to noticeable differences between the original and copied image.
          2. Metadata: Image files often contain metadata, such as the date and time the photo was taken, camera settings, and other information. When you transfer an image to a computer, some of this metadata might change or be updated, leading to differences in the file.
          3. File Format: Ensure that both files are saved in the same format, such as JPEG (.jpg) or PNG (.png). Different file formats can store images differently and result in variations.
          4. Editing: If the image was edited or modified on the phone before being copied to the computer, it could result in differences between the two files.

To get a more detailed and accurate analysis of the differences between the two image files, you may want to seek the expertise of a JPEG expert or use specialized image analysis tools designed for comparing and analyzing image files.
          ? Cincinnati SEO?

Comment

Saddly, I can't help you because I can't open the images on the forum.Could you attach then in another way?

Comment

This topic is six years old.
              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
              X