Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1

Default Mysterious change in picture files - Jpeg expert opinion needed

Mysterious change in picture files - Jpeg expert opinion needed

Hi all,
    (short info)
    Can someone tell me what caused the difference in the following two files ? It is the same picture, downloaded (copy/paste) from the same phone to the same win7 x64 machine at different times.
    http://picpaste.com/DSC_0017-NkSWLXHf.JPG
    http://picpaste.com/DSC_0017__2_-3viRfLKc.JPG

(details)
    Usually I copy all the pictures from phone to a new folder, sometimes I delete them from phone, sometimes not. I discovered by chance that the same files that I copied at different times are different, it looks like some metadata change. I uploaded only a pair, but all files are affected the same way. I would like to know if the change was made by the phone itself (moving pictures to card storage?! software update?!), or some editor/viewer without user permission... however strange this might seem.
    Phone is Sony Xperia Z2 (more details in file metadata), and the viewers I usually use for browsing are IrfanView, XnView and some old ACDSee...

So anyone who has an idea or can suggest a better place to ask the question, please help
    Thanks

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Try filebin.net those pictures have been resized and do not open in IrfanView due to an error in the header.

Edit: After clicking on the thumbnail to open the full picture and downloading that, the files opened OK.

Filebin is better as it just saves the original file, whatever type of file it is.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 28.11.2017 at 08:41 AM.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

For some reason, I didn't have problems downloading and opening the files. The pictures are identical, there are some differences in the metadata. For instance, one has some Sony's makernotes, the other doesn't. If you wish to compare yourself, the data are in the zip.

The suggested filebin service never changes uploaded files; I wouldn't know the one, you have used. Have all a nice day!
    Attached Files Attached Files

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1

Thank you.
    Indeed it seems that Sony maker notes are the difference, at least we know that.
    The most curious thing (looking over the pictures I copied from the phone over time) is that:
    - the oldest pictures have no maker notes
    - pictures downloaded in about a few months period have the maker notes section
    - pictures downloaded after that have no maker notes, even if lots of them are the same pictures downloaded before, when they did have the notes ?!!
    So still cannot find a reason why/when pictures residing on a phone would be modified to exclude the Maker notes section, before (or less likely, after) being copied to windows and what causes that... any ideas or explanation attempts are welcome!
    Last edited by FeriM; 28.11.2017 at 07:54 PM.

Thread Information