Prohibit ordinary topic titles posted in Bold font

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prohibit ordinary topic titles posted in Bold font

I look through Feature Request section, and see some topic titles posted in BOLD. That gives them unfair advantage in attracting attention of more users and forum staff, also allows to gather more posts in such topics using this psychological effect, and therefore make them recommended for resolution, even if other issues may have higher priority to be resolved. For example, the thread title Minimize Batch Conversion Window is shown in bold underscoring its false priority despite it attracted just 100 views, while some other threads with titles in default font attracted several thousand views but still remain unresolved.

Why such unfair advantage in prioritizing threads is allowed to be abused by users or mods? Please prohibit in forum rules ANY topic titles shown in bold font on the forum, except may be some titles on general conduct rules and section stickies. Pls edit currently posted titles to remove bold font from them to ensure ongoing fairness in these suggestions review by users and staff. In fact, it may be a lot more objective to allow forum software to automatically change thread title to bold depending on user interest: once a thread viewership by different users exceeded 1000 times during a set time period, its title will convert to bold to underscore user interest to the proposal, thus setting higher priority in its resolution based on objective factors.
    Last edited by zamar18; 29.11.2017, 02:01 PM.

After I posted this topic, someone having control over this site features marked in Bold all forum thread titles I started. Come on guys, I didn't ask for that. My feature requests are not better or worse than someone else's. They don't need to be highlighted either, unless viewers stats increase above set by the forum admin threshold like I suggested above. If there are some rules already set for this highlight feature, pls explain them openly.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 29.11.2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

I never noticed before you mentioned it. It looks like threads with new replies are highlighted in bold.

We don't give any priority to Feature Requests based on how much fuss users make, but try to objectively assess their value to other users. Use of CAPS LOCK is not permitted and will be removed if I spot it.

Please read the sticky thread at the top of the Feature Requests forum. Anyone can submit feature requests and bug reports to Irfan Skiljan.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This is a standard feature of forum software

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        I never noticed before you mentioned it. It looks like threads with new replies are highlighted in bold. ....
        Bolding threads with unread posts is a common forum convention. The bolding is reader specific; i.e., if you login the forum software will keep track of the posts you've read. The "Mark This Forum Read" option under Forum Tools will clear all the bolding for the currently viewed forum. the "Mark Forums Read" on the main page will do the same for all forums.

I, for one, really like this feature.

Comment

Working...
        X