Respect explorer file order when moving to next file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Respect explorer file order when moving to next file

One of the very common irks I find difficult to circumvent while using this beautiful program is that it seems to follow its own set file viewing order (which being alphabetical instead of natural is another issue). This is a problem when viewing a folder of images sorted by date/size etc. in explorer.
    Jumping to the next image from inside Irfanview does not correspond to explorer thumbnail order.

If Windows Photo Viewer can do it, I don't see why Irfanview cant.

There should atleast be an option to select the file sorting order in the options somewhere.

There is an option, on the Options menu, Sort Directory Files.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      There is an option, on the Options menu, Sort Directory Files.
      wow...I must be going blind. 10 years of using this program and now I find it.

Still, an explorer-aware sort option would be priceless.

Comment

Still, an explorer-aware sort option would be priceless.
        Nope. It's one of the advantages of programs, that they can have their own settings.
        I don't know of any app that 'asks' windows-explorer on how to sort files in an file-open dialogue.
        Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
        Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
          Nope. It's one of the advantages of programs, that they can have their own settings.
          I don't know of any app that 'asks' windows-explorer on how to sort files in an file-open dialogue.
          As I mentioned, windows photo viewer does it. Having less integration with the OS is not always an advantage.

Comment

There is an easy way of getting Irfanview to show files in the order they are listed in Explorer using Drag and Drop. You need to have either a shortcut to Irfanview on your desktop or to have an Irfanview window open. Open Explorer if not already opened and use whatever sorting or grouping method you need to put the files in the order you want them. Then highlight those you want to display in Irfanview using Shift+click, Ctrl+click or Ctrl+A in the usual way to select blocks, scattered files or all the files in the folder.

Left click and hold down the mouse button on the first file in your selection and drag and drop the whole selection onto the Irfanview shortcut or window. That's it.

One thing to watch out for. There is no filter on the type of files you load this way into Irfanview. If you accidentally include files that Irfanview cannot open you will get an error message that you need to dismiss every time you reach one while browsing the images.

I usually get rid of them first by opening the Thumbnails viewer (press T) to see what I have loaded, before I start browsing.
            Hint: If you are loading lots of files they can take a long time to open as Thumbnails from the View menu. Change the View to List to load just the names instead. It is very quick to open and still quite easy to spot the icons of any files (or folders) that you know Irfanview cannot open.

Just click on those that you did not intend to load, holding down the Ctrl key after the first one, to select all those to go. Then press Ctrl+Shift+Delete to remove them from the show. The ones to go disappear immediately. If you get a message asking to confirm that you want to delete files then you were not holding down both Ctrl and Shift before pressing Delete. Press Cancel in the message box and try again.

After you have removed any you did not want, press Home to go to the start of the thumbnails or list, double click that one to bring the browse window back to the front, and start browsing. You can press T again to close the Thumbnail viewer if you no longer want it.
            Last edited by Mij; 19.01.2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuki Dent View Post
              I get really frustrated with the file sorting in Irfanview. Yes, a program can have its own settings. And a program may not 'ask' Explorer how to sort files. But - Irfanview DOES 'apply' the same sorting rule as Explorer ie: it takes the file extension into account when sorting.

Therefore, files that are named:
              Pool surface skimmer.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer assembly.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer connection.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer parts.jpg

Are sorted:
              Pool surface skimmer assembly.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer connection.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer parts.jpg
              Pool surface skimmer.jpg

Anyone can see this is wrong. The only way to remedy this is to add a space to the end of the filename ("Pool surface skimmer.jpg" becomes "Pool surface skimmer .jpg"). That is not a fix. If Irfanview can have its own settings why doesn't it sort properly? I use Xyplorer as my file explorer (and this is exactly one of the reasons why) and it has no problem doing it right.

Comment

Working...
              X