Comments of JPGs are not saved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments of JPGs are not saved

When I open some JPG file write a JPG comment by choosing [I][K] (some comment) [W] the comment is saved in the JPG file. But when I save this file now, or the same file opened in a new session of Irfan View and hit [Ctrl-S] to save it as JPG but with another file name, the comment is left out. It is not taken from the original JPG file and saved within the copy.

That causes losses of information when I work on a jpg file with Irfan View and save it with [Ctrl-S].

Windows 7 SP1 32-Bit
    Irfan View 4.44 and 4.50

Thank you, Panther

When you save the file with Ctrl S (overwrite or as a new filename) make sure that "Keep original JPG Comment is enabled."

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG Options.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	83011
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Yes, but I can't even add a comment in the first place. When I try to add a comment I get box saying "No comment available" & I'm completely unable to add a comment. I didn't have this problem on my previous laptop. Help, please!

Comment

Install the plugins in the correct folder. Check Help, Installed Plugins to ensure that metadata.dll is installed.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thank you.
          Alas I'm still stuck. I have I'view Ver 4.36, & although I have downloaded ver 4.54 & tried to execute it, I cannot replace ver 4.36.
          I have also downloaded all the plugins ver 4.54, but can't execute that either (presumably) because I still can't add a Comment with the metadata.dll.
          Two of us use this laptop - Ian & Alison. Windows 2010, ver 2013.
          So I have 2 problems - can't access Comments, Can't get ver 4.54 to run.
          What am I doing wrong?

Comment

You need to install iview454 as admin. Rightclick on the executable and chose 'Execute as Admin' (or similar text, my Windows version is in German)
            Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
            Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Brilliant, Kuki - it works - thank you! Such a simple solution but I'm a greenhorn. x

Comment

Working...
              X