PNS File Format Recognition Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported PNS File Format Recognition Issue

Irfanview reports .pns files as having the 'wrong extension' when in fact a PNS is a PNG file for stereoscopic images, so a valid extension.

See here for confirmation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_formats

Irfanview has no issue displaying them BTW since they are standard PNG with the only difference that they have a 'stereoscopic' flag set, although sometimes they even forget to set that flag and then it becomes a PNG that is just vanilla PNG.

Windows also doesn't display an icon for them, so even Microsoft is unaware of their existence, so you can't blame irfan for missing this one.
    Last edited by Dabble; 05.01.2018, 02:56 AM.

Well, 4.52 rolled in and still says 'This is a PNG file, should I change the extension?' when it encounters a .PNS, which is annoying. Although I can completely disable the wrong extension detection, but that is actually a handy feature I think which I like to have enabled.

Comment

Did you ever report the bug?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

This thread has the tag 'reported', but frankly I don't recall the details a year later.

But it's not important, I'll just disable 'ask to rename incorrect extensions' in options and use Iview that way.
        It is odd that it says 'reported' though and that it seems an easy and small fix to add the extension as valid.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Whoever reported the bug, didn't tell us, or report back on the result, so that thread's status has not been updated. I stopped reporting bugs after 10.07.2018.

Users submitting bug reports here should submit a bug report themselves to Irfan Skiljan (see the Help menu in IrfanView for his email). Anyone can submit bug reports; it is not the duty of moderators to do it for you, but do tell us that you submitted a report and what reply you received so that we can update the thread's status.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hmm, but if you used to report them until mid 2018, and the original post was from early 2018, does that not suggest you were the one that did the reporting? Since it was still months before you stopped doing that.

I have no idea how to be sure. I did check my E-mail records though and I don't see evidence of me having done it.

Comment

Check out the sticky thread on reporting bugs.

• Reported is the default status when someone reports a bug
              • If someone else confirms the bug here, the thread status gets changed to confirmed.
              • Then, anyone can forward it. If I forwarded it myself, I would have updated the thread status (unless I forget, of course, which could happen). If someone else forwards it, but does not tell us, the status remains unchanged.
              • Depending on the reply received, it will then be marked as pending, fixed, or no bug.

In brief, if you report a bug, take responsibility for following it up. I no longer do that because:

1. Users reporting bugs expect me or someone else to do the work for them, and don't always read the sticky thread
              2. Irfan Skiljan does not take kindly to people "wasting his time," so I no longer send reports.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.12.2018, 06:29 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Working...
              X