Save also EXIF data when saving a TIF file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejected Save also EXIF data when saving a TIF file

Please, add while saving TIF files, that EXIF settings NOT are lost anymore.
    Will be very happy after hoping for this already many years!
    Thanks for IrfanView.
    These option can make this much more better!!

Do you have any good reason to save as TIF instead of JPG?

JPG for Archiving Images
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.01.2018, 08:53 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I believe this has been asked for in the past more than once. Two possible cases, perhaps:

When a source file is a (8-bit) tiff, containing exif metadata. After some editing and saving a new tiff, the exif data are lost.

When a source file is a (exif data containing) jpeg, half-done editing can be saved as a tiff as an intermediate file, to avoid the lossy jpeg compression. ("Will finish tomorrow.") Again, exif data are lost.

So while IrfanView is not a serious image editor, it can do simple things like cropping (and quite much more), and preserving exif metadata would be useful in such scenarios, I think.
      IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Good reason for TIF

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        Do you have any good reason to save as TIF instead of JPG?
        TIFF is lossless storing. JPG never...
        And fast or batch resizing all EXIF is gone...
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.01.2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intermezzo View Post
          TIFF is lossless storing. JPG never...
          And fast or batch resizing all EXIF is gone...
          If you read the link that I gave you will see that the losses for high quality JPG are negligible. That is why Cameras use JPG not TIF. One can save at significantly less than 100 before the losses become significant. If you're scanning, then using JPG allows a higher resolution scan for the same file size. Disk space may not be an issue for storage, but data transfer rates to DropBox or external media are. Why would one resize a TIF if loss of detail is an issue? If you used JPG, there would be no need to resize originals to save space.

There is no harm in requesting this, but in my opinion the benefits over JPG are very small. IrfanView is just an image viewer. Anyone who is a serious photographer will use PhotoShop or other photo-editing software instead.

Professional image collections typically save images with an estimated JPG quality of 96. Saving a 16,000 x 16,000 pixel NASA TIF image with this setting reduces it from 285 Mbytes to 92 Mbytes, and reduces the time to load the file from 5078 milliseconds to 2093 milliseconds (use IrfanView 64-bit for very large images).
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Uncompressed formats have their place during acquisition and editing. I would always scan to a BMP, TGA or TIFF, and only compress the finished file. Instead of waiting 5000 milliseconds for loading (that I suspect is for zip compression, which is just one type possible) or much more for encoding, the saving and loading then takes just 200 or so. Often I use a temporarily uncompressed file from IrfanView to apply interpolation in chroma subsampling, even if further editing is done in Photoshop CS2, which is limited to point upsampling. I could see using some other individual transformation from Irfan before switching to another program, and use an uncompressed temporary file in the process.

Discussing the merits of various compression schemes is offtopic to the request of this feature being added for the TIFF format.

I agree that JPEG is a good format for photographs, offering about 2:1 compression and also reduction of loading time over PNG (at quality 97-98). But only for the finished file. Banding and mosquito noise can add up during editing.

Comment

Reply received:
              Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
              TIF and EXIF are not that user friendly like JPG ... specially for private/proprietary/vendor data => they must be (probably) removed.
              => complicated, later.

Comment

Working...
              X