Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burning Plugin - can it burn a video dvd? (Slideshow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning Plugin - can it burn a video dvd? (Slideshow)

I am running v4.5 of Irfanview, as well as 4.5 of the plugins. The plugin listing says: "BURNING - (version 4.50): allows IrfanView to burn slideshow to a CD/DVD/BD (Windows XP SP3 or later required)"

I am also running Windows 10. When I burned a dvd of the slideshow, it seemed to burn a data dvd, e.g. it didn't work in a friend's dvd player except to show the pictures in a directory.

I would like to burn to a dvd so that I can share my slideshow with relatives who have Mac computers, e.g. play it in their stand-alone dvd players rather than get them to try to run the exe.

The burn dvd with Nero option is greyed out, so I was hoping to be able to do it without Nero.

Background - optional read :
    The last slideshow I burned was a couple of years ago (or more) - at the time I had Nero, and it all worked well. However since then, my laptop and external drives were stolen. I contacted the Nero vendor, and they have no record of me ever owning Nero, otherwise they would have been kind enough to allow me to download it again. So, I was hoping not to have to pay another $100USD to buy another copy just so I can burn a slideshow if the Burning plugin and Windows 10 can make it happen.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.02.2018, 05:50 AM.

The option is not greyed out for me but I just get an error when I try to use it. I assume that I could burn a Data DVD without difficulty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Data DVD.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	83039Click image for larger version

Name:	Nero.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	83040
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks for the response, Bhikkhu. I think you just confirmed that the Burning plug-in does not allow a person to burn a video dvd. I thought from the description of the plugin that it might.

Comment

I guess it is about licensing. Since the full app costs $100 the plugin cannot offer the full feature-set for free.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Understood.
          Alternatively, if IV could save slideshow as an mp4, that would allow options to upload to YouTube etc., but I would guess there would be licensing costs with MP4 too.
          IV is still an amazing product (at an amazing price! . I'll do a re-purchase of Nero.

Thanks for your dedication!
          Neale

Comment

I have always used InfraRecorder to burn video DVDs which is free. It still seems to work in Windows 10.
            I no longer burn Irfanview exe slideshows to DVD but have no problem creating them on a USB stick even when they contain videos.

As the help file says though you have to select the Internal video/sound player and check the Use DirectShow for playing option. I think I read that DirectShow is no longer fully supported by Windows 10 and suspect that the videos may be being handled instead by FFDShow which gets installed on my computer with the KLite Codecs pack. That is free as well.

Comment

I wasn't sure how Irfanview would burn a slideshow to a video DVD with anything other than Nero, so I kept pursuing getting my old version of Nero restored... Does InfraRecorder integrate with Irfanview?

Good news - Nero was gracious enough to find my license number even though v11 is quite old. I now have it installed, however the Nero option is greyed out when I want to burn a dvd. When I check the plugins that are installed, Nero is not a plugin. Do I have to go load the 32 bit version of the Nero plugin? (I'm running Nero 64 v4.5 along with 64 bit plugins).

Comment

Originally posted by Nepper View Post
                I wasn't sure how Irfanview would burn a slideshow to a video DVD with anything other than Nero, so I kept pursuing getting my old version of Nero restored... Does InfraRecorder integrate with Irfanview?
                Good news - Nero was gracious enough to find my license number even though v11 is quite old. I now have it installed, however the Nero option is greyed out when I want to burn a dvd. When I check the plugins that are installed, Nero is not a plugin. Do I have to go load the 32 bit version of the Nero plugin? (I'm running Nero 64 v4.5 along with 64 bit plugins).
                Looking at the Irfanview plugins page it does rather look as though Nero is now only supported by 32-bit plugins and even then you have to use the old version of the Burning plugin (BurningOld). Scroll down the page until you see

You can download the (32-bit) PlugIns as 4 separate ZIP files (for experienced users!):
                iv_mmedia.zip. Contains these PlugIns: IV_Player, Med, Mp3, Burning, Nero, Quicktime, Real Audio, SoundPlayer.
                and download the iv_mmedia.zip folder. I have no idea how you are supposed to extract the files from this zip file with Windows 10. The "Compressed files" tab no longer seems to work. Fortunately I still have 7-zip installed, so right clicking on the downloaded file and clicking on 7_zip gave me a dialog that does still work in Windows 10 and Nero.dll and BurningOld.dll are in it.

Comment

You nailed it, thanks! I downloaded and installed Irfanview 32 bit, and it allows the Nero burn to video dvd. Too bad a video dvd burn of any sort isn't available in IrfanView 64, or if there is i couldn't figure it out.

aside: my Windows 10 unzips easily, just right click on the zip folder and it comes up with an extract all option.

Comment

Working...
                  X