Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

explorer.exe crashes on windows 10 with irfanview 64bit as predefined application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug explorer.exe crashes on windows 10 with irfanview 64bit as predefined application

Hi all, I just got a new laptop with windows 10 home as OS (first approach with this OS for me). I immediately proceeded with the installation of both irfanview 4.50 32 and 64 bit editions. After some struggle I could finally set the 64 edition as the predefined application for opening the image files. The problem is that each time I click on an image file to open it in irfanview, explorer.exe crashes with a ntdll.dll error.
    I tested using the 32 bit edition and the file explorer no longer crashes. I can keep the 32 bit edition as predefined and use the 64 only for my big files, but I think this is worth some investigation.
    Regards
    Lila

Unable to reproduce here.

I had images set to open with 64-bit. I changed it to 32-bit via the right-click, open with, choose another application route, then back again to 64-bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Open With 32-bit.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	83043

Both work fine. Is it crashing for you with any image or just with some?
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 12.02.2018, 09:21 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

There are many reasons possible if ntdll.dll crashes. Please read
      https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-ntdll-dll-errors-2624474
      for some information and solutions. Google or Bing will show you more sites to help you.
      At first, I'd uninstall IrfanView64 and install it again from a download site, eg. as suggested from irfanview.com or from softpedia com.
      Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
      Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

It was crashing with every image I opened. Now I have fixed some other system DCOM errors and so far it seems to work. I will report again if it happens again!

Comment

It does not look like a bug in IrfanView.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You are probably right. I checked twice, the 64bit crashes explorer if it is the predefined app and I double click on icon, but everything seems to work with 32bit version as predefined and I open file with 64bit version with right click. Still trying to fighting with all win 10 issues

Comment

In my humble opinion there's no difference between the 32- and 64bits versions of IrfanView where it concernes bitmap file showing on screen.
              When I load a large PSD (Photoshop) file (812 MB) FastStone Viewer does it in 2 seconds, but IrfanView takes only 1 second! That is: in both 32 and 64 bits versions (within Windows 10 - 64bits without any opdates). The same goes for a JPG file of 260 MP (20000x13000 pixels).
              That is, I seldom use the Windows explorer; I use Total Commander to start everything from his menubar.

Comment

I can see a significant different in loading speed for 64 Megapixel NASA images

* 64-bit loaded in 2218 milliseconds
                * 32-bit loaded in 3344 milliseconds

For professional photo images of 12 Megapixels the difference is not much

* 64-bit loaded in 203 milliseconds
                * 32-bit loaded in 172 milliseconds

There is therefore no good reason to use the 64-bit version at all, unless one is working with huge panoramas or enormous NASA images.

YMMV if you have solid state drives etc.

Specs: AMD A10-6800K, 8 Gb on Win 10 64-bit • Snapshot 1.15.1099.3 (64-bit)
                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 14.02.2018, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X