Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exclusive Full Screen (auto change resolution)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Exclusive Full Screen (auto change resolution)

Hello,

To put meaning to title, I have this situation of having a 1920x1080 display on a new laptop squeezed on 15.6'' screen making DPI a hell of 0.1799mm which is unreadable for my old eyes and having got used to seeing 1366x768@15.6 (0.2529mm) on my older laptop. I know that many will advise to put Windows 10 @1920 and use "Scale and Layout" to set %125 or %150 but having tried that is "no solution" at all since fonts got scaled awkward plus I have a lot of programs refusing to scale and show "tiny" @1920 resolution versions.

So what I do is rely on laptop's nVidia external GPU scaling and set resolution again to my usual of 1366@15.6'' on a 1920@15.6'' display. This is more successful as those problematic programs that refused to work @1920 looked normal again and nVidia scaling added with ClearType does much better job than Windows scaling, at least for my taste and for my eyes for everyday programs such as browsing, typing and similar.

Then comes the problem of "not utilizing" 1920@15.6'' screen for games, videos and image viewing. Luckily games take care of themselves and auto adjust resolution to @1920 within their settings and switch back to @1366 to desktop when done. Also for videos I use MPC-HC compared to VLC and again MPC-HC has a setting for "Exclusive Full Screen" setting that when a video is played at full screen (no menu, borders) video is played @1920 with no visual loss on full HD films and switches back to @1366 when full screen mode is ended by user interaction.

Last part of puzzle is image viewing. As of now any image viewer I've found or used in the past does not have such setting let alone consider such possibility so here I am asking if you would like to consider adding such to IrfanView, my favorite for last few years after switching from older ACDSee. Every image viewer, including yours, assume I "have to" work at my "best" resolution so that when a image is viewed at full screen it is displayed with full details. For my case it is a wrong assumption as any viewer will show a true 1920@1080 image on a 1366@768 resolution at crippled @1366 resolution with downsampling.

What I'm asking is if IrfanView could add option like MPC-HC at View > Options > Playback > Fullscreen > "Use autochange fullscreen monitor mode" and when an image is viewed at "Full Screen" the image would be shown at monitor's best resolution instead of current set Windows resolution. Maybe a not so popular request yet within the evolution of IrfanView, it can be a considerable option for ones like myself even if a minority.

Last of all thanks for creating IrfanView and your work is much appreciated. I liked it so much back in time I've even submitted Phoenity skin image of IrfanView while original art belongs to Lim Chee Aun which I also wrote in my submission. Thanks for your time even if this suggestion may get rejected.

Best Regards.

P.S: Please anyone reading this, do not advise me ways to switch back to @1920 desktop display with your version of workaround since while I wrote one, I've read and tried many of those so called solutions to find that they are not for my taste.

You can view images at 1:1 in fullscreen mode. Just press "1".
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
    X