Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ini File Edition not Reflecting in App

Hello All,

I am an administrator and want to update "i_view32.ini" in %appdata% folder as such the language changes in the application. Unfortunately, the changes are not reflecting back in the app if ini file is edited though it works other way round. Any ideas?

Thanks

Irfanview (32bit and 64bit) each have two INI-files. The first is in the programs folder under "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView" or
    "C:\Program Files\IrfanView". These files only contain two lines:
    [Others]
    INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

%APPDATA% refers to the users application data folder, which usually is

"C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView", where 'i_view32.ini' and 'i_view64.ini' reside. The section for the language must look like this
    [Language]
    DLL=ENGLISH
    Lang=English

or equivalent for the language you want to use. I assume that the writing in CAPITALS is important.

If in your case all this is as it should be, it might be that your administrative rights are not sufficient to write directly to the APPDATA folder.

I couldn't figure out the problem here.
    Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
    Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I am doing exact same thing and I do have all admin privileges to update the "i.view32.ini". I am updating it as :

[Language]
      DLL=French.dll
      Lang=Francais

It still is not changing the language in the application. I have also tried changing the case of French to FRENCH etc, still no go. I have changed such ini settings in other applications before and it always works quite well until now.

Comment

Silly question. Is the French.dll plugin installed in the right place?

C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\Languages

Click image for larger version

Name:	Language DLL.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	83059
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.02.2018, 11:56 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan Paint • Irfan View Help • IrfanPaint Help • Riot.dll • More Skins • FastStone Capture • Uploads

Comment

It must be be "i_view32.ini", not "i.view32.ini", but I assume it is a typo.

English is the built in language of IrfanView, all other languages need a specific .DLL-file. So, if you want to use English, you must use "DLL=ENGLISH", in all other cases you must use "DLL=[LANGUAGE].DLL", eg. "DLL=FRENCH.DLL", all in capital letters.

Sometimes the use of capital letters is mandatory.

I also got the French.dll file and manually altered i_view32.ini to use the French language - it worked.

[Language]
          DLL=FRENCH.DLL
          Lang=Francais
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.02.2018, 11:58 AM. Reason: fixed typo
          Win 10/64 Home 22H2 IrfanView 4.66/64
          Hate has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet. (Maya Angelou)

Comment

In Settings/Language, available/installed languages with version info are listed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lang.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	83060

Switching to French from within IV options creates what Kuki has quoted in the .ini file.
            Last edited by Jacal; 21.02.2018, 12:52 PM. Reason: More babbling
            IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Yes, It's a typo. I meant "i_view32.ini".

My default language for Irfanviewer v4.38 is Deutsch. However, before I edit the said ini in %Appdata%, there is no information about Deutsch being default or current language there. Am I missing something here?

I have tried FRENCH.DLL, French.dll , French.dll , etc all sorts of things I could try, still no luck.

Comment

Is this perhaps a misunderstanding of when you can see a change reflected in the Irfanview Application settings? My apologies if you already know what is posted below.

The i_view32.ini file is read by Irfanview when it opens. It makes changes to its settings at that time and will continue to use those settings (unless you open the Properties/Settings dialog and make internal changes there). If you make external changes to the i_view32.ini file and save them using Notepad or some other text editor it will not be reflected in the Irfanview settings until that copy of Irfanview has been closed and opened again. Note too that using "Reopen" from the File Menu does not update the settings - it just reopens the current image.
                A quick way that you can check on external changes made to the ini file without closing Irfanview is to press Ctrl+N. That opens a new copy of the current image in a new window and that new copy will reflect the changes you made to the ini file. Close that new copy and press Ctrl+N again if you want to check on a further change.

The i_view32.ini file is updated to reflect any changes you make in the Properties/Settings dialog when that dialog is closed. Again though if you still have the ini file open in the text editor window you will need to close and reopen that before you see the changes there.
                Last edited by Mij; 22.02.2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, I think I am following the same. I close the app, edit the ini file , save and close it, then open Irfanview again. Not changing the language. I have also tried restarting the computer to make sure I am not opening the previous instance of the application, still I am facing trouble changing the language remotely/silently.

Comment

Well, I have downloaded the French language zip file from the Irfanview web site and extracted the two files "French.dll" and "IP_French.lng" for Irfanview v4.50 (I assume you are not actually still using v4.38 as it says in your profile) and moved them into my "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Languages" folder. I had to confirm with an Administrator password that I did want to move them into the protected "Program Files" folder of course.
                    Now I could easily change between English and French in the Languages tab of Properties/Settings dialog.

I left it in French, closed Irfanview, found the i_view32.ini file in my user "/Appdata/Roaming/Irfanview" folder and copied to the clipboard the two lines in the [Languages] block.
                    I then reopened Irfanview which was still in French and changed back to English. I closed Irfanview , found i_view32.ini again, added the 2 lines from the Clipboard in the [Languages] block, saved to clipboard the 2 lines for the English version and then deleted them from the [Languages] block. Now when I opened Irfanview again the menus were all in French as expected. No problems at all switching between languages by editing the ini file, just as Jacal found.

So I am afraid I cannot see any reason why it should not work for you too, techie_04.

Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to check all this, Mij.

I am working on v4.38 as this is the version provided by our client and I have to deploy it silently on users. Since this is working quite well for, well, everyone but me, I am assuming this is a bug with this particular version. Let me try to get latest version, if I can.

Thank you for all the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X