Thread: Warning in version 4.50 64-bit when ini file is read only

Default Warning in version 4.50 64-bit when ini file is read only

With the 64 bit version I get this warning when editing an image. "Your INI file i_view64.ini is read only! You can't change any IrfanView option until you get the write permission for this file."

It is only a warning, which you can close. I want to disable this warning.

This happens when I choose Image / Add border/frame, or Image / Custom/fine rotation.
    I want to keep the file i_view64.ini read only.
    With the 32 bit version this is not happening. So, I think this is a bug.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I can confirm the behaviour, but I am not sure that it is a bug.

Not only does the warning appear in IV 64-bit, the Border/Frame also cannot be added.

If read-only is not set, adding a border/frame to a picture in IV 32-bit does not update the *.ini file. However, adding a border/frame to a picture in IV 64-bit does update the *.ini file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Date Modified.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	5162

Also, custom/fine rotation does not work properly with IV 64-bit, and the ini file in read-only mode. The preview is correct, but the result is not.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

No surprise there. Why would the program be expected to work properly if you lock its configuration file? I suggest you use some other strategy for maintaining default values for users, such as a batch file that copies the ini file on launching IrfanView.

If the 32-bit version works, then use that. It is the recommended version, except for editing very large files.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 22.02.2018 at 10:31 PM.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The problem is not that the file itself is read-only. The problem is that Windows (after a certain version, not sure which) automatically protects files under the Program Files directory from being edited. To fix the problem, locate the i_view64.ini file. Right click and choose Properties. Select the Security tab and click the Edit button (note: you must have admin privileges to do this). In the edit dialog, select "Users...", then in the Permissions area check Modify and Write. Then click Ok, and OK again.

Once I did this, I could change the program settings. It also fixed the problem with capture only capturing all monitors regardless of the setting that I chose. I suspect that several other problems that I see reported here would also be fixed by this.

Thread Information